PDA

View Full Version : Ehiem 2227 wet dry, opinions?

Columbo
09/26/2006, 04:53 PM
I am considering a Eheim 2227 wet/dry for a 75 gallon set-up. Any experience with this filter? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

sc

suphew
09/26/2006, 06:53 PM
Why do you want to run a biofilter? It will just create nitrates which you dont want in the tank. All you need for filtering is live rock and a skimmer. Cannister filter can be useful for running carbon and resins but that is about it.

Columbo
09/26/2006, 07:07 PM
Live rock can be cost phohibitive, yes?

sir_dudeguy
09/26/2006, 07:20 PM
well what type of tank are you setting up?
because if you're doing a reef, then suphew pretty much said it all...you do NOT want nitrates in a reef, which wet/dry's or any other hob filter/canister can cause...

but if you're doing just a fish only tank, then sure, go wet/dry..much cheaper. But remember this...i've never heard someone say that they'd rather have plain tanks (or even just rocky tanks) than corals...so you'll more than likely want to get corals down the road, at which point i'd just plan for reef right now...it'd save you money

Columbo
09/26/2006, 08:01 PM
The plan is to start with a rather large quantity of formerly live rock (dried out and now cleaned off) then gradually add live rock in 5-10 pound increments. My theory is that, over time,of the foundation rock will become inhabited thanks to the live stuff. The amounts of live rock would enable me to get my feet wet (sorry) with some "starter" corals.

sound plausible?

sir_dudeguy
09/26/2006, 09:05 PM
The dry rock will get the bacteria on its own i think..tho it wont get any of the critters...but it will get the bacteria to break down amonia i think. Bertoni told me something about it a while ago, but i cant remember...so hopefully he'll pitch in here, (or you could just pm him i guess)

Columbo
09/27/2006, 08:20 PM
Any others??

suphew
09/27/2006, 10:19 PM
The live rock well get anarobic bacteria inside that breaks down nitrate to hydrogen sulphide (or is that sulphate? no matter), this is the main job of the live rock, and the bacteria don't 'need' to be seeded from other live rock to get there, it just helps the process. What other live rock will do is seed the base rock with critters and sponges etc.