PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that the ich parasite can be brought in on live rock?

chicki
06/17/2002, 11:04 AM
Read somewhere a while back about the ich tomites able to bury in liverock for a short time and to be brought in to your tank via this way?? anyone heard of this??

Guy
06/17/2002, 01:58 PM
Ick can settle on anything but the #1 introduction will be through infected fish.

SteveN
06/17/2002, 02:15 PM
Don't know about the bury, but I do know they attach somehow. But the basic answer is yes, the do get to it. It is the stage right after the "white spot" so often seen by aquarists and can be introduced to the tank that way.

chicki
06/17/2002, 03:48 PM
I realize that...but that still means that although you quarantine your fish, you are still open to the possibility of introducing ich to your tank via rock, gravel, corals, right?

chicki
06/17/2002, 03:51 PM
that reply was for guy.
Steve, have you read anywhere how they attach themselves??
just curious

Guy
06/17/2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by chicki
I realize that...but that still means that although you quarantine your fish, you are still open to the possibility of introducing ich to your tank via rock, gravel, corals, right?

Absolutely. The only true preventative for Ick is Healthy fish.

god_of_wolves
06/17/2002, 03:55 PM
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I have read in numerous places that Ich is actually already in all of our tanks, it only makes itself apparent when a fish get's stressed. (Thier immune systems gets weaker, and then Ich can infect the fish)

Kinda like all the germs we have floating around in our air, but you really only get sick once in a while either from a stong strain, or a weakend immune system.

I could be be wrong...

Scott.

anthem
06/17/2002, 04:16 PM
Crypto is not like bacteria. It is a parasite that needs an obligate hosts. Many tanks have crypto, and the fish are healthy enough to fight it off as long as new stressors are not introduced into the tank (kind of a detente0). But no, crypto is not always present.

In terms of bringing it in with live rock. Yes certainly possible and happens quite frequently. If the source only had live rock curing, then its less likely to happen. If its in a tank/system with fish, then its very possible. Generally always a good idea to re-cure in your own tank for awhile before placing them into your tank. With inverts, the possibility is there as well - just not as likely.

Ed

john f
06/17/2002, 04:35 PM
Ed,
I've thought alot about this in the past few months (as you probably know ;) )
I think unmounted coral frags like SPS and softies provide little chance of introducing cryptocaryon to a system. There simply is nowhere to attach.
Live rock and larger coral colonies on live rock DO present a risk.
This risk can be minimized by purchasing from a dealer who cures the live rock in fishless systems or also if you can trust the dealer to tell you the status of fish in the coral growouts.
For example I recently added about 140# of live rock from Dr. Mac & Sons. He cures all live rock without fish for 3-4 weeks. This should be enough time at normal reef temps to eliminate cryptocaryon tomonts from the live rock.
Then later I asked him about fish in his grow out tanks. Dr Mac does keep fish in these systems but has not added a new fish for several years. This I feel should also reduce the likelyhood for crypto introductions.
If a fish has been in a system for several years without an Ich outbreak, it still could possibly have tomites but it is VERY unlikely.
So I added about 15 corals from his system to my 1000 gallon with good results.

The bottom line is you have to treat every fish in Q-tanks before introducing to the main reef system, and you have to be careful with ALL introductions to the reef afterwards. If you don't know the circumstances the corals/live rock came from, you need to quarantine these for 3-4 weeks before introduction the the display reef.

If all of this sounds like a TON of work...............it is. And most people are not willing to do it. This is why MOST people have Ich outbreaks.
And until they come up with a reef-safe, EFFECTIVE treatment for cryptocaryon, this is the only way I will act.

John

anthem
06/17/2002, 04:52 PM
John, agreed. Not very likely to get from unattached corals, or from inverts like shrimp, hermits, etc. Possible, but not very likely.

In terms of live-rcok - very possible. Again, as I mentioned (and you as well) - depends on whether the rock was cured in a fish-less display. Frequently its "mostly" fish-less which while not very likely, still possible. I just prefer to get rock and throw it in my 150gallon rubbermaid and just let it cure for a few weeks, that way I can pretty much insure its safe. Also, it'll be fully cured when I put it into my system.

Ed

organicreefer
06/17/2002, 05:47 PM
a couple years ago i experienced an ich breakout after the introduction of a few corals.