PDA

View Full Version : My 120g beat the odds!

ocd_mariner
09/24/2006, 10:28 AM
And finally got set up.

After a 150g tank that was leaky and had to be scraped (which was set all the way up, and weighed 8 million pounds), to a sump that had to have some extra supports put in (refuge to return area wasnt quite right), the 120 stuck it out and beat the odds!

Im not much of a picture taker (or aquascaper), but I couldn't resist at least posting one tiny little pic.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l270/ccollinsreef/DSCF1395.jpg

The rock was cured, so the cycle seems to be over, everything is testing what it should be. However, I can't run the halides yet. I've never had a tank with halides, so I didn't understand the massive heat output. Before anything was in the tank, I cranked em up and came back a few hours later to an 9 degree rise in temps. No big deal, nothing in there that needs em, but I got my eyes on a chiller. Anyway, thanks to everybody for the help :)

eyebedam
09/24/2006, 10:45 AM
Looks real good so far.

greystreet41
09/24/2006, 10:46 AM
looks great man...and ALLLLLLL that room for livestock! I can't imagine having the freedom to start over and have that much room to work with....er, yes I can :)

gflat65
09/24/2006, 01:29 PM
Looks great. Before you know it, it'll be full and you'll be looking for a bigger tank;). Are you running any fans in the canopy with the MH? That will help with the heat. I couldn't go without a chiller, though. If my house could be properly cooled (even has an oversized new unit...), maybe, but no sense in pushing the envelope.

TitansFan
09/25/2006, 10:54 AM
looks great! Glad to see you were able to get another tank. Yes, like Gary said fans help alot. Also, watch to see how high the temp goes and be sure to adjust your heaters accordingly. You don't want that huge 9 degree temp swing when the lights go off.

ocd_mariner
09/25/2006, 11:07 AM
I've got a couple fans now, but they don't provide near the stability Im looking for. I found a good deal on a jbj artica 1/4 chiller in the used goods forum, so he should ship that out tomorrow.

Must. Buy. Stuff.

mamagoose45
09/25/2006, 11:28 AM
The tank looks nice...you have some cool "caves" built in there. What are you planning as far as livestock?

ocd_mariner
09/25/2006, 04:11 PM
A few fish, mixed reef.

I'm wanting a mostly sps tank, but, I figure Ill start off with some lps/shrooms/zoas and what not for a bit, and let the tank stabalize (mostly, make sure I can keep things at a constant rate).

Of course, that all flies out the window the first time I show up at a frag meet :)