PDA

View Full Version : ? re plumbing a CL

ellio
09/24/2006, 06:57 AM
If I use the rigid pvc from my two bulkheads out to a "T," can I use flexible pvc from my pump to the "T." The reason I ask is because I won't have room on my stand where the tank sits to mount the pump so I will have to mount if underneath with the sump. After head loss the pump will be pumping @ 500 gph. Thanks

flyyyguy
09/24/2006, 09:36 AM
Yes you can. but FYI, there is much more involved in head loss than simply how much of a lift you have going on. Every T, 90, and 45 will conribute to head loss as will the kind of pipe you use. Flex pvc actually has more friction going on inside the pipe so more headlosss, but it is usually more than compensated for by eliminating a few elbows by using it.

How big is your tank???

ellio
09/24/2006, 10:06 AM
It's a 20H drilled for overflow and CL. I ordered it from wetdryfilter.com. Should receive it any time. In the mean time I've been trying to get everything together. Thanks for the reply.

flyyyguy
09/24/2006, 10:18 AM
Cool, then that pump should be fine.....i was just making sure you werent planning on that pump for a closed loop for a bigger tank. ; )
I would actually utilize the flex as much as possible though, even from you closed loop to the T. Depending on where you put the pump you coud attach 2 45's to sides of the T, then flex pipoe to your bulkheads........
good luck

stugray
09/24/2006, 11:00 AM
be sure to put a valve & a union on each side of the pump.

If you ever need to clean or replace the pump you will be thankful of the valves.

Stu

ellio
09/24/2006, 01:38 PM
flyyyguy- thank you for your replies in this matter.

stugray- thank you for the additional information.