PDA

View Full Version : long spine urchin

ixp7633
09/22/2006, 05:30 PM
how should i move my urchin ? can i pick it up or should i do something else?

ixp7633
09/22/2006, 07:13 PM
?

racrumrine
09/22/2006, 07:36 PM
When I got the one I have, the previous owner grabbed it by a few spines and pulled it out of his tank and into my plastic bucket.

I tried this technique for a split second once. When the urchin started moving its free spines towards me, I chickened out and let it go.

If you need to move one, I would suggest a plastic container.

Best of luck,

Roy

ixp7633
09/22/2006, 07:43 PM
thanks!
\ anyone else

Mr. Guitar
09/22/2006, 08:35 PM
I don't have a Sea Urchin in my tank but I do have an idea. I'd just pick it up and move it. Put your hands around it and just move it. It shouldn't stab you. I wouldn't worry about that too much. I've picked up tons of Long Spine Sea Urchins in the Bay before and never have gotten stuck. If you have anymore questions about 'em ask away!

Kgoarmy17
09/23/2006, 12:41 AM
I have a small guy in my tank atm. I'll post some pictures later. But he likes to come out at night and cruise the tank. I've only had to move him a few times for maintence purposes on some pumps.

I would recommend not to expose them to air. I've lost urchins before becuase of it.

Use an old credit card and slide it under him, or place it at the end of his body and let him crawl on the card. Also if you must use your hands, pick up from the bottom. Try not to apply pressure rather, just contain. Kinda hard to explain but basically dont puncture yourself. :P

Goodluck and let us know how it goes.