PDA

View Full Version : ID on Killer Flatworm Plz

jameshsamuels
09/21/2006, 02:38 PM
Hi
I have wittnessed Brown slugs on some of my soft corals including hammer, frogspawn, Ricordia, and mushrooms and some pieces have died, Are these worms/slugs parasitic and killing my corals.

If anyone has any information please let me know!!

thanks
James

the picture should be below

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/502/135358Clipboard011234567.jpg

Kgoarmy17
09/21/2006, 02:44 PM
Flatworms no question. Quite the infestation as well.

A few species of wrasse will eat them, 6 and 8 lined wrasses have been known too, also coris wrasses as well.

Use rigid airline tubing to siphon out as many as you can. Be careful around your corals. The siphoning will hurt teh tissues parts of hammers, frogs, etc.

As far as chemical means of extraction, there is a product called Flatworm exit. Says its coral safe, but I've heard conflicting stories. When flatworms die they excrete a body juice which is poisonous.

I personally had to scrap a tank becuase my infestation was so severe. I couldn't control by means stated above.

Good luck and let us know how your battle goes.

Kgoarmy17
09/21/2006, 02:57 PM
I can't find the exact species atm, but I have seen similar flatworms in other threads here on RC. Maybe someone else can chime in and provide more of an insight for you. In the meantime I will continue looking.

You might want to try a Chelidonura varians. Its a type of slug which eats flatworms for a living. I haven't owned one myself, but I have heard nothing but good about them. They don't ahve a long lifespan though.

jameshsamuels
09/21/2006, 05:20 PM
thanks Ill try all that, I have to try to save the tank because it is my only one and it 75 gallons........thanks again for the reply

Qckwzrd
09/21/2006, 10:11 PM
how large is the tank? I think you would have luck with the wrasse. I wouldnt try the Chelidonura varians if your tank is large because I'm pretty sure he wouldnt do much. The wrasse should work. They have this siphon in some pet stores that suck the water through a tube and the water travels down the tube into a fine mesh bag and the water goes back into the tank. I would try that because the only other way to siphon them out would be with a siphon house for a water change. So with the other device it lets you take the worms out without taking the water out.

http://www.petlanddiscounts.com/detail.asp?product_id=230294

I have flatworms in my nano tank but I like them, plus I take them out every week I do water changes. So they arent a bother for me....yet. I'm thinking of getting the Chelidonura varians because they are pretty and I have enough food for them to be happy. Good luck

jameshsamuels
09/22/2006, 08:59 AM
The tank is 75 gallons so I think we are going to go with a wrasse and see how that works, and maybe some flatworm exit if the wrasse gets his fill. I dont think we will have any problems now that people have helped us with this flatworm, thanks to everybody that posted a reply!!