PDA

View Full Version : need help. LTA will not stay burried

pt's65reef
09/20/2006, 08:40 PM
any suggestions for keeping a LTA burried in the sand. ive tried burrying all the way to the glass bottom and leaving all water flow off for up to an hour. as soon as water flow returns he blows out of the sand and lays on the bottom. any suggestions is greatly appreciated..

fragaholic
09/20/2006, 09:08 PM
I had the same problems with mine for weeks, I finally got frustrated and let it be and it went behind some rocks. Came out on its own and found a spot and planted its foot. It has not moved since. I would suggest to cover your powerheads and just let it be, it will find a spot it likes. Moving it and burrying it just stesses it out further.

pt's65reef
09/20/2006, 09:10 PM
the only thing ive noticed with that is when its laying down on its side the tentacles are all buried in the sand. it realy hasn't moved for a solid day.

graveyardworm
09/20/2006, 10:26 PM
A couple questions, how long has the tank been set up, what do you have for lighting, and how much flow?

pt's65reef
09/21/2006, 07:40 PM
the tanks has only been set up for about 1 1/2 months. for lighting i have a 36" current light, with 2 150 mh, 14 k bulbs, nine white and blue led's. for flow there is 4 1200 maxijet powerheads..

pt's65reef
09/21/2006, 07:45 PM
the tanks has only been set up for about 1 1/2 months. for lighting i have a 36" current light, with 2 150 mh, 14 k bulbs, nine white and blue led's. for flow there is 4 1200 maxijet powerheads..

graveyardworm
09/21/2006, 07:59 PM
Lighting is good, but having only been set up for 1 1/2 months its hard to say if that isnt the problem. There's still alot of fluctuating going with parameters. Flow could be an issue as well, LTA's seem to prefer low flow, and commonly bury their foot under a piece of LR. When its happy it will settle in, otherwise it will float around until it perishes.

pt's65reef
09/21/2006, 08:06 PM
ive even tried to hide him behind some lr out of the flow, to expensive to let perish. next time im going to try epoxy. lol

graveyardworm
09/21/2006, 08:12 PM
Mine settled in overnight, if you can, turn off two or three of the PH's. If it settles in then you can adjust the PH's to suit where it is. You may also want to shield it from the MH with some screening and slowly acclimate it to the light. Shipping stress is tough on these guys, alot of darkness and poor water quality creates alot of stress.

pt's65reef
09/21/2006, 08:18 PM
today has been 1 full week in the tank. should he be acclimated by now. i tried this time burrying him and turning off all the ph's and filter so there was no water flow. left off for approx. 2 hrs. still once you turn the ph's back on he comes right out of the sand. sorry to sound so redundent but im really new to the sw tanks

graveyardworm
09/21/2006, 08:41 PM
The anemone is more than capable of burying itself, I would cut the flow down for maybe 24 hrs, but dont stop all the flow. Cut it down to 1 or 2 pumps so the flow where you want the anemone is low. Shield the lights and acclimate the anemone to your lighting. This can be done with something called eggcrate, ( you'll find it in the ceiling tile section at home depot ), and some fiberglass screen, place the eggcrate ( light diffuser ) over the tank, and 4 or 5 layers of screen remove the screen one layer every couple days. This is a good practice for all new additions.

I'm still concerned that the tank is not mature enough for an anemone, typically you should wait at least 6 months before adding one.

pt's65reef
09/21/2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=135232&thumb=1
here is a pic of the anemone. thanks for the help and advise
first time adding pic hope it works

graveyardworm
09/21/2006, 09:44 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/512/135232Sep21_001.jpg

Hmmm, the pic is kinda small and tough to get a real good id, but I can see that it is bleached, yet another hurdle to overcome. Have you tried to feed it?

Is the clownfish trying to host? This could be even more trouble.