PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a bb tank w/sandbed fuge?

johnnstacy
09/20/2006, 03:56 PM
Seems like so many of the bb threads are gone now. Whatever happened to Bomber? I still really like my bb tank but have recently been thinking about adding a fuge and sandbed. I have a large chamber in my sump that houses chaeto and is also bb but I think to do it right, I would need a larger area for a sandbed. The main purpose is to harvest microfauna for the main tank.

Tell me your thoughts.

msn711
09/20/2006, 04:19 PM
I'm trying that right now in my 30 breeder. I just took the sand out of the main tank, but left the sandbed in the fuge. I'm not really sure what to expect though. I'd also be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this. I guess my reasoninig is that the sand in the fuge isn't an issue. As for as I know, i'ts serving it's purpose...cultivating pods and microfauna and reducing nitrates (along with chaeto or maybe it's just the chaeto). And it doesn't appear to be collecting a ton of detritus. In the main tank, I could see the detiritus collect on the sandbed, and I couldn't increase the flow to keep it in suspension because then I would have sand storms. So that's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Anybody that can explain this a little better?

P.S. Check the sps forums too for more bb discussion.

vikubz
09/20/2006, 08:22 PM
I took the sand out of my 29 gal and it really turned around. I also tried a sand bed in the sump, but I didn't have it set up right. You really need the right cleaning crew and sand stirring fauna to prevent it becoming a detritus trap. Also, you need a pretty big amount for it to be any help. And lots of flow.

You're better off with the extra water volume I think, and maybe some sort of 'fuge setup in the display tank. I've heard a lot of folks recommend piling up some coral rubble under a small plastic basket like you get strawberries in the store, or bundling it in plastic mesh. 'Pods can get in and out, but fish can't get at them.

Mark