PDA

View Full Version : growth on mushroom

shan820
09/20/2006, 02:16 PM
I have something on most of my mushrooms that doesn't resemble anything else anyone else heas mentioned on here. It doesn't look like flat worms. They look like little white curlys. When i squirt with a baster it becomes apparent that this 'thing' is made of many small folds, dark in color but white around the edges. Squirting makes the folds open up a bit, sometimes they even fall of the shroom. The bend in the glass of my tank distorts any pictures I try to take. Thoughts? I know its not much of a description.

rombouts
09/22/2006, 10:02 PM
Do you have pictures?

drummereef
09/23/2006, 02:26 AM
I've seen a pic somewhere of what you are describing, but can't remember where. Someone in the Other Invertebrates Forum might be able to help.

shan820
10/24/2006, 08:04 AM
OK, I finally got a picture to post. Its not great but maybe someone recognizes it. These things are permanently attached to some of my mushrooms. They don't move. The white part you see is actually just the edges of whatever these are. They are all folded up, if I blow water on them they open up a little bit, almost like mini mushrooms. Thanks!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/51748mushroom.jpg

greenbean36191
10/24/2006, 08:10 AM
To me it looks like part of the mushroom's innards have become outtards. Other than being picked at I'm not sure what would cause this though.

A.G
10/27/2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah as greenbean said that is the inner stuff called mesenteric filamnt .
Its used to digest trapped food and attacking neighbours since they are full of nematocysts and digestive enzymes. Maybe something in ur tank is disturbing them? or they are stining other corals near by? maybe just digesting food?

Good Luck

shan820
10/27/2006, 07:30 AM
Hmmm thats odd. Its been like this for a couple months now, haven't noticed any problems, there are no other corals nearby, no new additions...

DiViNeLeFT
10/31/2006, 09:37 AM
i got a zoa rock that had a couple mushrooms on it that had the same thing happening. i found out that there was a species of flatworm that was eating the mushrooms... they didnt bother anything else in the tank, only the mushrooms. after i got rid of them the mushrooms have healed right up. look really close and see if there is anything moving around on them... the flatworms were nearly invisable under daylight bulbs. they had a slight glow under actinic though, that is when i first spotted them.