PDA

View Full Version : My Harlequin Tusk came out of the rocks after a month!

fantastic4
09/20/2006, 12:24 AM
This is my night!

About 10 mins ago, my Harlequin Tusk which had been hiding for about a month just came out and is acting normal again. WOW!!!

Had him for about three months, and he was my favorite. Then one day he disapeered. Took out my live rock to see if you was hiding or if the crabs got his body... I found him hiding. Was thinking that maybe one of the following must have happened...

My clown grouper released toxins and this made him sick?
Clown grouper was beating him up when I was not home?
He was sick from toxins when caught... he's Indo?
My water may not suit him and he's sick?

Not sure which one... but he's out right now

Has this happened to anyone's harlequin? A month seems like a long long time to never ever come out.

SumpDiver
09/22/2006, 07:00 AM
Mine never sits still, swims continously in open water. I can't imagine a tusk hiding for a month. Very strange.

fantastic4
09/22/2006, 10:31 PM
Update he back to hiding. I am considering taking down all my live rock mountains and laying everything flat so he will be forced to adjust to being in teh open. This is so strange.

majestic sea life
09/23/2006, 12:30 AM
What are you feeding him? What how big is he? IMO a 65gal is on the small side for a larger tusk.

Mike de Leon
09/23/2006, 02:16 PM
:eek2: that kinda sucks!!!!!http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/mookerji/yaman.gif

thor32766
09/23/2006, 03:29 PM
yeah any pics, and congrats on him making it.

SumpDiver
09/23/2006, 07:29 PM
Moving the rockwork around to force your tusk into open water is a bad idea. If he is taking shelter there is a reason and removing his security blanket will only stress him more. Tusks are usually very swimmy open water fish. If he is hidding there is definately something not right about the water quality, tankmates or he is sick. You just have to find out what is stressing him out and eliminate it from your tank. Also soak his food in fresh crushed garlic.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

fantastic4
09/29/2006, 01:32 AM
Update:

I think I know why we never see him, he seems to be nocturnal. As soon as the lights go out, he pops out and swims around like normal, all night from my observations and then sleeps when lights are on.

lakehorse61
09/29/2006, 03:57 PM
my tusk hid for about 2 weeks mainly from the huma & salfin that are both aggressive. when he got comfortable he is out all the time & nobody messes with now.

he is skiddish around the porcipines but i think it is because they swim without looking where they are going at feeding time and run into other fish. clumsey guys but very cute!!