PDA

View Full Version : 100w heater, 65g tank...

hey fishy fishy
09/19/2006, 07:49 PM
im trying to create a back up system that will maintain or slow down any changes in a 65g due to power failures.

anyone know how a 100w heater will fare in a 65g (breeder) tank in a room that is, say at worst, 70 degrees?

im hoping the 100w will do fine, as you obviously know, the larger the wattage the less time the ups will deliver, and doubling the wattage actually decreases time far more than just 2x, it isnt a linear curve, so halfing the watts really give me much more time.

so the 100w heater and a tunze stream or pair of maxis for flow is the back-up plan.

if i didnt already have my live rock cured and infested with pods id let the 100w heater run in the tank and see how it handles the room (damn wich i would have thought of this months ago).

any experiences? or databases i can peruse?

thanks

Secondgen
09/19/2006, 08:50 PM
You could try using this idea on another container of comparable size first to see how it goes. Just a thought, this way your tank would be undisturbed.

hey fishy fishy
09/19/2006, 09:55 PM
not sure i want to get another 65g tank or even something else close to it running in here.

i have thought about using a 20g trash bin i use for water, but thats less than 1/3 of the volume (maybe les than half of actual water volume due to rocks), so i wont get an accurate comparison.

i planed on giving it a shot, but there are so many variables that i wonder how helpful it would be. for example, the heater has to heat far less water, might be easier to heat 20g than 50g, but then again since its less volume it should also cool a lot faster than a 65g. then theres the issue of insulation, since the rubbermaid can may or may not be better at insulation than the glass tank.

ill give it a go just to see how it fares.

but id stil like some user experiences with this type of set-up, even on a comparable tank.