PDA

View Full Version : Help with buffing acrylic

Solitaryensis
09/18/2006, 03:17 PM
Hey guys,
So the tank I bought last week has some pretty bad scratches on it. I actually think its defective acrylic but given the deal, I couldn’t pass on it. The owner thinks its because the front pane was getting direct light from a window, but I highly doubt that.

Anyways, the best I can describe the scratches are that it looks like a cat got to the front of it and went all over it with his paws. Just a bunch of .5-1" scratches over the entire front pane. The "scratches," which look kind of like small cracks are only on the surface and nothing on the inside of the tank indicates that it’s anything more than surface problems.

Anyways, I need to buff it and need some advice from the pros. Since it’s an entire pane, id like to use something mechanical but ill wait for the experts to chime in.

TIA,
Theo

orientalexpress
09/18/2006, 04:07 PM
Hand on Hand off just like Mr. Miyagi said.gl

lapsan

andyman
09/18/2006, 04:11 PM
wax on wax off!

Qwiv
09/18/2006, 04:54 PM
You basically need to buff the scratches out with the compounds in a acrylic scratch removal kit. You want to rub accress the scratch.
Don't use anything mechanical unless you get the hang of it first on another piece of acrylic. It is very easy to make a blemish with a mechanical tool. The heat generated can cause a distortion in the acrylic that looks a lot worse than the scratch you are trying to get out. An orbital sander on a slow setting is the only thing I would uses, and when you are on the finer polishes. Make sure you keep it cool!! I have made a few blemishes in tank trying to be lazy with a sander.

racrumrine
09/18/2006, 04:59 PM
You can contact Marc Daniels up in Sacramento on the MARS forum.

Here is his website to give you an idea of the cost.

http://www.nars.biz/Pricing.htm

There is a thread where several MARS people used his services and liked the work.

Best of luck,

Roy

dantodd
09/18/2006, 06:45 PM
If it is crazing (caused by UV damage) I don't think they'll buff out. Crazing is similar to what you described but they usually go in all different directions and often show 'turns' in a single line while scratches usually go in only one or 2 directions.

Solitaryensis
09/19/2006, 06:06 PM
So im a bit concerned that it might be crazing. I cant seem to find any pictures so its hard for me to make out what it is.

Dantodd: It doesnt look like any of the lines show turns. They all seem to go in the same general direction. Any other indication that it might be crazing?

dantodd
09/19/2006, 06:11 PM
this page has a fair picture of crazing/stress cracking....

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/acrylictkrepfaqs.htm

xtremereefer
09/25/2006, 08:23 PM
Hard to tell from those pics. I think i might have crazing. Is it common to have this occur only on one panel?

Solitaryensis
09/25/2006, 08:26 PM
Sorry, that last post was from me.

delsol650
09/26/2006, 10:05 AM
I have a dime sized circular crazing on the front top part of my 100gal. I am constantly monitoring it. it is not right on the top seam of the aquarium but 2-4 inches below the top of the aquarium. I know it could lead to tank failure in the future but right now no funds to get another one ( due to mortgage ). but if it was scratches this product is good.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RB1551

could be used with water in tank ( just don't use the buffing compound and only the pads )

dantodd
09/26/2006, 01:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8220666#post8220666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtremereefer
Hard to tell from those pics. I think i might have crazing. Is it common to have this occur only on one panel?

AFAIK it can be caused by UV so if that one panel was the one facing the window I wouldn't be surprised.