PDA

View Full Version : flat worms outbreak

EDRIEG78
09/18/2006, 06:27 AM
Looks like i had a little outbrek of flatworms. what is best way to get rid of them .

6 man reef
09/19/2006, 11:37 AM
I had hte same trouble a few months ago and took the advice form RC members who used Salifert. I originally used the Salifert Exit and it did not completely eradicate the tank of them. My LFS suggested a scooter blenny. I took his advice and have not seen another worm. The only concern would be fish compatibility in your tank.

Qckwzrd
09/19/2006, 12:09 PM
I have the same problem, I purchased some xenia and sucked the flatworms from the glass but then looked at the corals and rock and seen tons of them. I have a pair of neon gobies in the tank would they eat them? and whats the worst can the flat worms do? do they acutaly hurt anything? besides being on the glass they dont seem to be doin anything else.

Qckwzrd
09/19/2006, 05:09 PM
I guess if you have a small tank you can use Chelidonura varians aka Blue-striped nudibranch

graveyardworm
09/19/2006, 10:30 PM
I wouldnt use chelidonura varians, I say this because I did. The slug didnt last very long and I was left with flatworms. Saliferts Flatworm Exit (FWE) has worked for quite a few people, I have used it and still had flatworms. Also FWE is indiscriminate and kills beneficial flatworms as well, and does seem to have a bad effect on other beneficial invertebrate life. I will never treat my display with it again. If kept under control with regular siphoning the flatworms pose little or no threat to the other life in your tank. However if they are allowed to go out of control they can cover corals and effectivly block light, and if the flatworm population crashes all at once the toxins they release when they die can nuke your tank. This is also a concern when using FWE, be sure to follow the instructions closely if you decide to use it.

drummereef
09/21/2006, 01:34 AM
Check out Melevs site for info. www.melevsreef.com

Kgoarmy17
09/21/2006, 01:37 PM
Sixline and 8 line wrasses will eat flatworms usually. I had large infestation in a previous tank. I even tried flatworm exit. Didn't do too much. When it comes time for a water change, take a rigid airline tubing and suck out as many as you can. For me and the store it came from, we both had to dissemble the tanks. Get out as many as you can. I would get them off all the LR, next 15-20 mins it would be like I never touched em.
Oh, and goodluck.

Qckwzrd
09/21/2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.petlanddiscounts.com/detail.asp?product_id=230294