PDA

View Full Version : Wavemaker Selection

Elorian
09/17/2006, 11:38 AM
Hi all-

I am thinking of adding a wavemaker to my 55g reef and have been looking at the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro and the Reef Fanatic Wave Creator. Anybody have feedback on these two units, or a strong preference between them? I am leaning towards the Wave Creator at this point, but thought I'd see what experience everyone has had with the two units. I'm planning on running 4 MJ 1200's (I may use Melev's flow mod on them as well). Any experience or thoughts on these are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Elorian
09/18/2006, 01:14 PM
Bump

manse
09/18/2006, 01:20 PM
Did you do a cost comparison with the Squirt? http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/

Will work with a single pump (albiet something bigger than a MJ1200).

I don't have one... but it's on my "list of things to look into"

Elorian
09/18/2006, 01:39 PM
I did look into the Oceans Motions options for a professional install that I am currently working on, but was thinking of something a little more programmable for my home tank (and one that didn't require extra plumbing as I have no place to conceal the pipes/tubing). The SuperSquirt and 4 Way are somewhat "programmable" in that you can get a specific drum to send water to the outlets in a specific order; I will probably look into these again if and when I set up a big "dream" tank at home, but for now I'll probably go with a programmable wave maker.

Which leads me to the question- Wavemaster, Wave Creator, or ??? :)

Thanks for the suggestion and the link manse- I'd definitely recommend looking into the Oceans Motions equipment if you have the space to plumb it. So many cool options, so little tank space...

Elorian
09/18/2006, 09:37 PM
Bump

silverwolf72
09/19/2006, 12:20 AM
I've never used one but I like the diffrent wave settings on the wavemaster. They look very simular though so I guess it would be which one does the patterns you like. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

adtravels
09/19/2006, 02:50 AM
I had a wave maker but read somewhere that they mess up your pumps (impellor), they also halve the amoumt of flow because your pumps are off half of the time.

You can achieve chaotic (as opposed to linear) flow by careful positioning of the pumps
I have sieos they move large volumes through large diameters of nozzle so you get high flow that does not blast and they are cheap to run
Tunze do the same but better and more expensive.

Just my two cents.