PDA

View Full Version : something's eating my sea star

jlmyers
09/14/2006, 05:37 AM
Help! I bought a 55 gallon second-hand reef tank from the lfs. It is approximately 2-3 years old, and it came with live rock, about 3" of crushed coral, lots of zoas, mushrooms, aiptasia, mojanos, and one blue damsel. There is at least one small bristle worm, and one mystery critter. The mystery critter is probably a crab of some sort, perhaps 1" to 1 1/2" across. So far, i have only seen a couple of its legs. The legs make it look a bit like a brown spider. It hides in holes in the live rock and reaches with its small pincers to look for food.

Since then i've added a pair of ocellaris clowns, 3 peppermint shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs, 2 sand sifting sea stars and one serpent star.

The sand stars went undercover almost immediately and i rarely see them. After a few days, when i came home from work, i saw one of the sea stars on the glass was missing a small part of one arm. Then last night when i came home from work, the star was missing the entire arm.

What could be doing this? I haven't heard the tell-tale clicking noises that would signal a mantis shrimp. Does anyone have any ideas?

dc
09/14/2006, 08:09 AM
[welcome]

Did you acclimate it properly? I believe stars are sensitive to drastic changes in salinity, they kind of dissolve away.

delsol650
09/15/2006, 11:23 AM
required is 2 hr. acclimation.. drip method. and not that good a living in high nitrate environment.. anything about 20ppm I believe.

racrumrine
09/15/2006, 08:17 PM
I got a blue linkia with a tank I bought.

Sadly, after awhile, it started to deteriorate and it looked like it was slowly being eaten every night.

I checked the tanks with red lights and found a couple of several inch long bristle worms munching on it!

I caught one of them and put the star in a QT tank. Unfortunately, it didn't recover from the trauma of the nightly attacks.

Best of luck,

Roy

ophiuroid
09/16/2006, 12:15 PM
It is not likely it is being eaten....even if it is, it is more likely (as in the case above) that it is unhealthy. The symptoms of disintegration are consistent with accimation shock....and things like bristleworms eat stressed and dying animals (and we should be happy for it).

What is your specific gravity?

I never recommend sand sifter stars. Most are doomed.

venwu225
09/16/2006, 01:58 PM
I concur with ophiuroid