PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a clean-up crew?

Raibaru
09/13/2006, 11:25 AM
I'm still a ways off from adding any inverts to my tank because I'm still in the middle of my nitrite -> nitrate phase. However, I'd like to start doing some planning for my clean-up kit.

::Setup::
Tank: 36g
Fish: 2x Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Fire Angel
Inverts: Serpent Star, Fire Shrimp, Skunk Shrimp, Feather Duster
Corals: Ricordia, Frogspawn, Torch, Hammer, Zoas
Lighting: 130w PC
Flow: 2x Maxijet 1200 w/ FLO Deflectors
Skimmer: AquaC Remora

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with Pacific East Aquaculture, but I did their New Tank discount program and I'm trying to decide between their clean-up packages seen here (http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/ShowProductCategory.aspx?CategoryId=31) .

Could you guys help me choose the best package for the job? The inverts I listed above I want just because they look nice moreso then to fill any specific job.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

MJAnderson
09/13/2006, 11:38 AM
Personally I think people add too many inverts, especially when starting out. Algae blooms are natural when starting and if you buy a crew for this they will starve once the tank stabilizes. That being said, I'd go for Trochus snails over Astreas --- they can flip back over when knocked to the sand but either will clean the rocks and glass. Ceriths also --- eat different type of algae and will go in the sand/rocks/glass. Nassarius will stay in the sand exclusively. Maybe some black turbos. Hermits are ok, but they might take out an occasional snail. The scarlets and sea of cortez are my favorites.

My choice:
6 scarlet hermits
6 Trochus
6 Cerith
6 Nassarius (assuming you have sand)

After that I'd just wait and watch to see what types of algae you're having problems with and add appropriately.

Raibaru
09/13/2006, 11:52 AM
yea I have sand. I tried to do roughly 1.5" sand but one side is closer to 4" that slowly goes down to .5" First tank for me so I put the rock in first and it was very difficult puting in the sand. I'll probably try to even it out more over the coming days.

What is the difference between the various types of hermit crabs? Just color? Or do they have different personalities and tastes?

MJAnderson
09/13/2006, 12:34 PM
Mostly just look different. Those two are the least aggressive of the hermits and you'll have the best luck with them not killing snails. You could go all of one type and wouldn't make a difference. The scarlets get slightly larger, but look cooler IMHO.

Raibaru
09/13/2006, 12:43 PM
Yea, I'm not sure if they would allow substitions on their pre-made clean-up packages so I'm trying to find the right one and suppliment it with things it is lacking. The inverts I listed were ones I'd add later down the road (probably still before fish but not at the same time as my cleanup crew).

How about the conchs? Queen and fighting also basically the same just one gets bigger then the other?

Sounds like the best bet is to go with their

A-1 Standard Caribbean Clean-Up Package (http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=141) and then just suppliment it with a few Nassarius snails?

Would you add anything else to the list or maybe go with one of the other packages he offers?

ECEKatko
09/13/2006, 01:58 PM
Only thing with Astreas is that they can't flip over, as he mentioned. They're great for cleaning if you keep an eye on them to make sure they stay upright.

Raibaru
09/13/2006, 02:12 PM
Yea. Some people are telling me the blue hermits are the more aggressive type hermits anyway? Any idea if the Zebra Reef and Redleg hermits are better/same/indifferent?

Maybe go with this (http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Detail.aspx?ID=162) instead? This second one seems pretty close to your original suggestion with the exception of the crabs. I'll call him up tomarrow if I get some free time to see if they allow you to modify the packages and still use them toward his discount thing. Maybe I will luck out and get exactly what you suggested.

ECEKatko
09/13/2006, 02:58 PM
I've had a nanoreef with 1 each of scarlet, red leg, blue leg, and zebras. IME, the red leg was the most aggressive, killing 2 snails and the blue leg (then he was killed by a coral banded shrimp). Before he killed them, I had added a bag of about 10 empty shells around the same size as all the ones he killed, but he didn't like them apparently. I've never seen the scarlet do anything but eat algae and occasionally some food that falls, he doesn't walk on my corals too much. The zebra is pretty benign and good with scavenging but loves walking on top of everything. Again, this is just IME with one of each. The second one looks better to me.

MJAnderson
09/13/2006, 03:49 PM
Have to be careful with names here. Scarlets aren't red legs and there are a few types of blue legs blue legs. The Cortez red legs he is selling aren't the aggressive red legs.

I've heard the Zebras are a little more aggressive, but I don't know that from personal experience. I have 10 Cortez red legs and 10 scarlets and they haven't taken out a single snail, although they occasionally fight among themselves for shells.

I think the second package is fine. A few too many, but the strong will survive.

Queen conchs get too big for your tank IMHO. The queens can get to 8" I think and the fighting conchs can get to 4". But you need something to clean your sand. Try maybe 6 Nassarius snails