PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dollars

mr. bojangsjang
09/12/2006, 02:27 PM
My LFS got their first shipment of sand dollars in today, the dull colored were labeled as Mellita quinquiesperforata and the bright colored ones were labeled as Clypeaster subdepressus.

After a little research I found out that sand dollars are actually sea-urchins, just flattened. Does anyone here keep them? Are they aggressive? Do they eat algae? Can I keep them with fish or other inverts? How big do they grow?

eclecticvibe
09/12/2006, 02:31 PM
They're sand dwellers. Shouldn't bother anything in your tank. Many species like cold water but there are supposedly some that do well in captive tanks. Good luck.

mr. bojangsjang
09/12/2006, 04:34 PM
The guy at the LFS said they were collected from a tropical area, the Carribean I think. Does that mean they will be fine in my tanks temperature?

graveyardworm
09/12/2006, 06:16 PM
The ones collected from the Carib seem to do well at reef temps. Primarily they are micro algae eaters, and dwell in the sand bed. They need alot of sand per individual. So if we're talking about your 55 gal seagrass project I would'nt put in more than one. :)

mr. bojangsjang
09/12/2006, 06:42 PM
thanks David! well actually the 55 will be widgeon grass only plus brackish fish, my seagrass tank will be a 40 gallon breeder tank.

PS- Any pics of your seagrass tank David?

graveyardworm
09/12/2006, 06:49 PM
In Shimeks book Marine inverts he states that a single sanddollar requires a minimum 10 sq. feet of sand bed. The 40 breeder is than 6 sq. feet, so you'd be a taking a chance that it may not get enough food.

I've got a thread in marine plants which hasnt been updated in a while cause nothing really been changed, except recently I purchase some more Thallasia did you see that thread? I'm also upgrading my lighting and making some big changes so its almost time for an update.

mr. bojangsjang
09/12/2006, 09:43 PM
I cant wait to see it. I saw one of your threads but it was a grow out tank for some seagrass species that I cant remember, I believe it was 29 gallon if I remember correctly.

Im dieing to see your update on your tank! I wanna learn from the experts before I start my own.

graveyardworm
09/12/2006, 09:54 PM
Check the macro forum. :)

Ryanqk
09/13/2006, 09:08 PM
Every year in the summer in sarasota where i grew up south of tampa there is an explosion in sand dollars, there always various size ones out there but after they spawn there are millions of small dime to quarter sized ones and when you walk around they go crunch cuase its unavoidable to walk on them, unless your curtous enough to swim over them. They seem to love to eat the algae on top of the sand at those times of the year. I'd really love to bring some back next time i find them there...

Mike4284m
09/13/2006, 09:57 PM
Would that be at Lido? I remember finding tons of them there.

dc
09/14/2006, 08:16 AM
I've always heard they were kind of boring. Basically just stand upright in the sand.

Kgoarmy17
09/14/2006, 10:19 AM
Sand dollars are commonly found on the beaches of FL. As children we would wade in the surf shuffling our feet, best way to find them. Also scares the string rays away :D

I have found sand dollars to get about the size of a persons hand outstrecthed. However, I have seen some pretty monster ones as well. So basically, normal range diameter is 3-4inches with max around 6inches.

That would be Clyoeaster subdepressus btw, and I would assume the best option for tanks as they come from warmer waters.

I hae never kept them personally. Catch and release was the key.

Ryanqk
09/14/2006, 08:33 PM
there were alot at lido beach too yes, and thats a good place to find big starfish too. But mostly at siesta key beach, thats where they formed carpets a couple inches thick at the base of the sand bars. I found lots of seahorses in sargassum weed last summer there too

ophiuroid
09/16/2006, 12:25 PM
There are several species of sand dollars in this area. I do not recommend sand dollars in reef tanks. For one, they serve no real purpose IMO that makes their collection worthwhile. Their long term survival is not likely to be good, another reason I don't support their collecting. They need a very deep sand bed because they burrow at an angle. They need very particular particle size distribution, and some species even appear to need calcareous over silicious substrate.

I do not know that these will be a good long term addition.

sultros
09/22/2006, 05:55 PM
A friend of mine kept one in his 120 for about a year. It was collected in destin florida along with some lettered olive snails. Most of his LR is raised up on a frame-work he built so there is lots of room for it to move. His sadbed is less than 2 inches deep.

It lived for about a year or so and all we ever really saw was it surface every now and then. Not very exciting or really interesting to tell you the truth =(

rsxs1212
09/26/2006, 10:39 PM
yeah they dont surface much.. i found a 7 inch one at the sandbar behind the house!! it is amazing.. weve also seen pretty big sea horses.. pretty cool stuff.. i was thinking of just starting a small tank with stuff out of the back yard!