PDA

View Full Version : The rules of the game

signu459
11/12/2000, 11:59 AM
Here are the rules of a few sports according to Al Gore

Baseball

You have completed 9 innings and Al Gores team is losing to Bushes team by three runs. Well that is not fair we need a tenth inning! At the completion of the Tenth inning Al Gores team is still losing by 2 runs. This still is not fair so we need an eleventh inning to even things out. And of course this won't stop until Al Gores team is winnig at which point the Game is sudden death and will end Immediately.

Football

It's 3rd down and 8 yards to go with 30 second left in the game ball on Bushes 12 yard line Bush up by 5 points. Gores team has the ball, President elect Bush's team is on defense. Gore in his infinite wisdom decides to run a questionable passing play in an attempt to get a the first down. While running their routes some of the receivers get confused and run the wrong route ( all though it was only 4% that do). Those that do run the correct route are covered by Bushes defenders. Gores QB throws the ball and the pass is dropped by Gores Receiver. It was perfect pass, it hit the receiver right in the numbers, yet he dropped it. Now onto fourth down and 8. This time Gore decided to run the exact same play. The receiver catches the ball and but only gain 5 yards. So by the rules of the game the ball should due to loss of down be Bushes ball to finish out the game. But Gore contend that his passing play was to confusing even though his team designed the play and his representatvis in the NFL head office approved the play. Because the play was too confusing for his players he should get the ball again. And as a matter of fact he should get the ball until he scores. Oh and if the clock runs out, that should not matter either. What is important here is that each of his plays get a chance to get it exactly right.

gee I wonder if Gore let his daughters win in that game of touch football we all saw??

aLittletank
11/12/2000, 06:02 PM
:rollface:

Bubafat
11/12/2000, 06:16 PM
Well, lets see, the florida ballot was illegal, people DID complain about it, not understanding it. There were so many things that went on during this election, it's impossible to figure out what each side did to throw the vote to either side. Personally, i am sick of it, even if it does turn out that bush is gonna be pres for the next 4 years, do you really think he will have the support of the nation?! H%*^ no!! I don't trust either of the candidates, both come off as idiots who can read a teleprompter!! My dog would make a better candidate then either one of them!

Buba

Yes, personal attacks were made, and if gore or bush would like to come forward and complain, i will be the first one to edit/delete the post :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

hcs3
11/12/2000, 11:17 PM
sounds like al gores FB team coulda helped out purdue this saturday :)

henry

JB
11/13/2000, 02:44 AM
I guess I just don't understand politics.:(
I think that bush is the lesser of two evils, but would not be too terribly offended if gore won. That being said, isn't 2 greater than 1, and 1,000,000 greater than 1??? If bush is ahead he is ahead. It doesn't matter how far ahead he is.
Gore stand up, act like leader of a country, and take a deafeat. maybe spend 4 years working on your next election. But I wish you wouldn't waste any more of my time or taxes on this election.

jimhobbs
11/13/2000, 06:42 AM
Today,
The republicians are going before a Clinton appointed judge to ask for the manual recounts to be stopped...
Snowball's chance in hades, if you ask me! :D

By this weekend,
Gore will have picked up enough "mistakes" to put him in the lead ;)

This time next week,
The republicians will be forced to ask for recounts in other states that they lost to gore by a close margin

Thanksgiving,
Still no president, as recounts are awaited from more states

I don't care whose side you're on,
To go in and ask for selected county manual recounts, with no standards for mischief{good name Mr Baker!;)} is ALWAY'S going to add votes to the side doing the counting...It will happen in ALL the future states that you are about to see get forced into the mix; for whatever side request the said manual recounts

Best regards...

puff the magic fish
11/13/2000, 06:49 AM
I actually disagree with your post. Gore isnt calling for extra innings, he is arguing over the the strikes thrown against his team in the 3rd inning. :) And when that is ineffective he is now calling into question the rules of the game that have been around for 200+ years. Then of course back in the fifth inning when the ump called a foul ball, now technically speaking it wasnt a foul. Gore brought his surveors out to measure the whole park again and found that it truly was a home run if you take into consideration the fact that home plate is slightly skewed to the side, and if the ball was hit in the same tragectory from a straight plate the ball would not of went out, but rather stayed inside the park.

Gores next move is going to be holding his breath until they make him president.
puff

signu459
11/13/2000, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Bubafat
Well, lets see, the florida ballot was illegal, people DID complain about it, not understanding it. There were so many things that went on during this election, it's impossible to figure out what each side did to throw the vote to either side. Personally, i am sick of it, even if it does turn out that bush is gonna be pres for the next 4 years, do you really think he will have the support of the nation?! H%*^ no!! I don't trust either of the candidates, both come off as idiots who can read a teleprompter!! My dog would make a better candidate then either one of them!

Buba

Yes, personal attacks were made, and if gore or bush would like to come forward and complain, i will be the first one to edit/delete the post :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well Buba,

We're gonna do some business together real soon so I hate to make you upset but..... Saying the ballots are illegal is simply wrong. If all the ballots are thrown out because the ballot is found to be illeagal I will be shocked. Here are the facts concerning the ballot.

****The ballot was desinged by a Demo(n)crat.

****All the members of the election borad, all Demoncrats, signed off on the ballot.

****The state Demoncrat party signed off on the ballot.

****Every person in the county received a copy of the ballot in advance.

****Every Newspaper in the county printed a copy of the ballot in advance.

**** No one complained about the ballot after seeing in advance. Complaints did not start until after the election started going the wrong way for the demoncrats.

**** State law says that Ballots that are to be hand written must have all buttons on the right of the canidadte. That is the law you here everyone talking about. But right after that there is a law for elections being held on mechanical or electronic machines. That law says that the canidate can be on EITHER SIDE of the buttons. Since the elction in Palm Beech county was help using machines the first law is irrelevant and the second law is in fact the law that should be used. Therefore the ballots ARE legal.

**** Of the 19000 ballots that were thrown out MOST were actually corrected by the voter. In other words the voter double punched a bollot saw their error and then asked for a NEW ballot and voted the way they wanted! So the actual number of people who double punched is far less than 19,000.

**** In Cook county IL 120,000 ballots were thrown out, that is equal to a 6% throw out rate. No one is complaining about Cook county because Gore won it. Guess what the thrown out rate in Palm Beech county is?..... You got 6%. and that is not factoring in the fact that the real number is something less that 19,000.

**** In Duval county (Jacksonville) there were 26,000 ballots were thrown out. Duval county went a little better than 2 to 1 for Bush. Why no HAND RECOUNT?

**** What about the other 40 some counties Bush took? Where is the hand recount?

**** Is it fair that the hand recount to happen only in four hand secected heavily demoncratic counties?

**** Last year there was a republican woman running in Palm Beech County for a state position lost by 14 votes. She requested a recount and was denined by the same election board. The woman who designed the ballot said that 14 votes was not enough to trigger a recount. WHY????? Becuase she is a Republican!!!!! 14 votes NO RECOUNT.

**** GORE hired a PR firm on election night to start making calls in Palm Beech County to stir up the residents of the county. How low is that?

**** What about the Panhandle of the state?? The panhandle went 2-1 for Bush. They were still voting when all the networks announced FL went to Gore. Joe Scarburough who is the congessional rep for the Panhandle said on Friday that he had over 20,000 phone call from people who left the voting lines or turned around and went home. Rep Scarburough said that call were continuing to flow in. The people in Palm Beech County at least ahd a chance to vote even though they screwed up!

Who actually saw the process for the recount in Palm beech copunty? I did, it was nuts. They started with one rule as to what counted as a vote. They were not getting the results they wanted so half way through the count so they changed the rules. Well then that didn't work out so they changed the rules again. So basically they will continue to change the rules until they get the results they want.

AL GORE IS TRYING TO STEEL THE ELECTION

STOP THEIF

[Edited by signu459 on 11-13-2000 at 09:38 AM]

signu459
11/13/2000, 10:40 AM
Henry,

Whats your deal?

Bubafat
11/13/2000, 05:47 PM
Last time i open my fat mouth, hmmm, i wonder if signu is a DEMONcrat? hehe

buba

signu459
11/13/2000, 10:41 PM
Buba

LOL you made me giggle! HA

To cure you of any doubts the answer ( drum roll as if it will be a surprise) is NO

Tanked
11/16/2000, 12:17 AM
Well only one thing for sure at this time - more people voted that they wanted Gore as president than voted to have Bush as president.

Popular vote may yet change when becomes final, but seems there would be be some humility in coming in second in popular vote. I know the election laws of the county and understand the electoral college determines the winner. If (when) Bush becomes president, he will be my president even though I voted for Gore.

Signu - your post "Caught Red Handed" does not any make sense. When became apparent that there was a problem with ballot, of course Democrats would make every effort to notify voters of the problem. And of course they would want to determine the magnitude of the problem and have voters report if they experienced a problem. Nothing sinister about that.

Remember the prediction that Bush would win the popular vote, but lose the electoral college? Isn't it interesting that the reverse is turning out to be true.

I am a Democrat, but I am not evil. The same is true of most Democrats and most Republicans, and most Green Party voters, etc. Thanks

signu459
11/16/2000, 12:53 AM
Tanked,

The point of my caught red handed thread was not so much to point out that the Dems did it, which I think in general is wrong. But the point was more toward the total distortion made of the whole thing. When it first broke what was going onin Palm Beech county you would have thought that thousands of voters were crying, talking to each other, realizing their possible mistake. Then ON THEIR OWN choosing to call their Congressional rep eith Wexler or Hastings. After hearing Wexler talk late on election night and wednesday morning he made it appear that his constituants called him on their own. The Gore campaign made the same picture. When in fact that could not have been further from the truth. These people were and still are being stired intoa frenzy of untold emotions.

Most likely this is what happened, one voter maybe two called Wexler, early on Tuesday. They probably told him they got confused, Wexler doesn't worry about it too much because Gore supposedly winning FL. 5:30 rolls around and things aren't looking to good for Gore, as a matter of fact the networks have taken FL away frm Gore. (That is the real story of this election and true disenfranchising of voter rights). Wexler calls Gore tell him about one or two people getting confused and then the whirlwind of chaos that is apon us today was released. This is the same reason why Jesse Jackson was dispatched to Palm Beech county also.

To me this is just more of the lies and distortion that we have come to expect from Clinton and Gore.

One other thing, I fully expect Gov. bush to close the gap in the popular vote. Californai alone had 1,000,000 absentee ballots to count. 400,000 of which were from San Diego due to the military. Most everyone agrees that most absentees vote go Republican and military absentee votes even more so. Last I saw the popular vote was about 200,000 apart but that was three or four days ago.

Staceon
11/16/2000, 08:35 AM
There is no popular vote. We don't have a national election. We have 51 separate elections on the same day. If anyone doesn't like this, all you need to do is get 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of the states to agree with you in writing. Good luck.

Tanked
11/16/2000, 12:10 PM
Actually, there is only one vote for president. That is by the electoral college. The 51 state + DC votes mentioned above determine who gets to attend/vote in in the REAL presidential election. This process is part of our "representative democracy" system of government.

Rules vary by state. In some states, the elector is bound to vote per the POPULAR VOTE of the state. In other states the elector is free to vote for whom they please. However, since the elector is from the party that won the popular vote in the state, defections to vote across party lines have been infrequent. They have occurred as protest votes, but have never actually effected a presidential election.

In essence - we have 51 popular votes to determine what slate of electors get to vote for each state.

Technically, there is no elected president until the electoral college votes. We can tabulate expected electoral votes, but the outcome is conjecture until the votes are officially cast.

[Edited by Tanked on 11-16-2000 at 11:21 AM]

jimhobbs
11/26/2000, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by puff the magic fish
Gores next move is going to be holding his breath until they make him president.

http://w1.511.telia.com/~u51102888/anims/cartoon4/doom_anm.gif
ALGORE

MIKE
11/26/2000, 10:13 PM
Hi All,

I don't often post here, but I think this is important to consider.

I happen to be a democrat and a Gore supporter. 50% of the voting public is too. We have a 50/50 split in the Senate, and nearly the same in the House. The national popular vote would suggest, statistically, that Gore actually has a lead in Florida in terms of the people's will. But we don't determine contests on statistical probability, we do it based on the individual's vote. So, let's all take a breathe, drop the jokes about the parties for just a minute and take a look at what has happened.

The whole election issue has exposed one very large problem. In this day n' age when we can put folks on the moon, cure the previously uncurable, invent computers that move at light speed, we can't accurately count votes.

This is the first Presidential election where this weakness has been revealed. The fact is, this election is soooo close that the voting systems in place (particularly in Flordia) were not up to the task. It's a little like using a litmus paper to measure the ph in your tank. You'll get a reading, but it won't be worth much other than to tell you if the water is "base" or "acid".

Thousands and thousands of votes, on both sides btw, just haven't been counted, or counted accurately. Whether it's military absentee ballots, or old folks in Palm Beach, many folks have been disenfranchised, which is a crime IMO. And you know that these errors are also occuring in many, many places across the country, not just Florida. In past times, the races were lopsided enough that it just didn't matter that maybe there was an error rate of .05%. But in this race, that kind of inaccuracy just doesn't fly. The result? We have a mess, a contested race that NO ONE will ever know the final will of the people. Whoever "wins", will struggle with legitimacy for four years. Perhaps the only positive from it will be that the government will likely be deadlocked, if that's your desire.

I personally intend to call on my elected representatives to get off the dime, and spend a dime, so votes can be counted with a higher degree of accuracy. Sure, they'll always be some people who will not know what they are doing, who hit the wrong button, machines that break down and so on. But surely it's within our reach as a nation to be able to count our votes to a much greater degree of accuracy than this debacle. Maybe with improvement, we can restore some sense of legitimacy to a process that has been fully exposed now as highly flawed.

Thanks for your time.

Good luck
Mike

Carlos
11/27/2000, 05:07 PM
Every time I get reminded about Bush and Gore, I get this song in my head:

"I see a bad moon rising, I see troubles..."

Whoever wins, we are in trouble! If they are capable of this right now that none of them are president, imagine what they will do when they have the power!

"...well it's bound to take your life,
there's a bad moon on the rise"

Keep on reefing!!!

therman
11/27/2000, 10:46 PM
LOL Carlos :)