PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting BTA from MH to PC, HOW?

ezhoops
09/09/2006, 08:29 PM
I want to attempt to keep my BTA, but in order to do so I need to move it from a tank being lighted with 250W HQI MH to a tank lighted with 110W PC 50/50's. IS this even possible or will it basiclly just slowly kill of the anenome. I know that some people do it but I have no idea what would be the best way.

please help me figure this out.

if its easy than I will just sell the bta

thanks

traveller7
09/09/2006, 09:28 PM
Assuming you have 2x55W tubes: Place it midway on the rock pile in the new tank after acclimation. It will move as it sees fit. Give it the option to get within 12" of the tubes and keep the PC's freshly changed(6months or so).

fwiw: I would likely go with a 6500 tube and a 50/50, again assuming they are 55W's and they are parallel.

ezhoops
09/09/2006, 09:32 PM
what would be some signs of it not responding well to the light?

traveller7
09/09/2006, 10:26 PM
Based on my limited experience(hehe) with BTAs in all kinds of lighting they generally act according the following:

When they are getting too much of some lighting component, they may:

bleach, move deeper into the rocks, move lower in the tank, divide, or even start bubbling up again :)

When they are getting too little of some lighting component, they may:

lighten up in color, bleach, move to the top of the rocks, divide, expand more, or even start bubbling up again :)

Nothing concrete there, but BTAs tend to adapt pretty well. I would definitely stay with the higher PAR Kelvin tubes in the early stages of acclimation.

Cheers.

55semireef
09/09/2006, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8113270#post8113270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by traveller7
Based on my limited experience(hehe) with BTAs in all kinds of lighting they generally act according the following:

When they are getting too much of some lighting component, they may:

bleach, move deeper into the rocks, move lower in the tank, divide, or even start bubbling up again :)

When they are getting too little of some lighting component, they may:

lighten up in color, bleach, move to the top of the rocks, divide, expand more, or even start bubbling up again :)

Nothing concrete there, but BTAs tend to adapt pretty well. I would definitely stay with the higher PAR Kelvin tubes in the early stages of acclimation.

Cheers.

Very well said Scott.

I have one question for your ezhoops. Why are you downgrading?

I just upgraded my lights from PCs to T5s and mine bleached a little and bubbled up more but now is adjusting rather nicely.

ezhoops
09/10/2006, 06:58 AM
well not down grading just moving him into my Broodstock tank possibly. I'm bringing in a new H.Crispa and I hate to keep more than one anenome species in the same tank.

I may just have to sell him

55semireef
09/10/2006, 12:25 PM
I am keeping more than one species of anemone in my tank without any problems.

ezhoops
09/10/2006, 05:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8115724#post8115724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
I am keeping more than one species of anemone in my tank without any problems.

Yeah I know it can be done but I would rather not deal with the worry or the hassle, much less make the clowns decide :D

55semireef
09/10/2006, 05:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8117206#post8117206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezhoops
Yeah I know it can be done but I would rather not deal with the worry or the hassle, much less make the clowns decide :D

Very much true. :)