PDA

View Full Version : Mods, please post warning in lounge

batguano
09/09/2006, 06:50 AM
It seems that lately people have been wandering into the lounge and gotten offended or disgusted. Perhaps RC should post a warning on the lounge label in the general interest forums that in addition to the lounge being somewhere that RCers can go to talk about things other that reefs, members should not enter without a sense of humor, a healthy sense of self or at least an interest in hearing opinions that might not jibe with their own. Just my two cents. I've been enjoying this forum for a few months now and I would hate to see it become some kind of club where only a few people can enjoy it.

OK, I'm done preaching. :)

BigSkyBart
09/09/2006, 08:52 AM
WARNING:
OSHA and WORKERS COMP do NOT consider hurt feelings to be valid claims.
Exercise that sense of humor 'cause you don't want it to get Cloesd from lack of use.

wav3form
09/09/2006, 08:55 AM
It is a club only a few can enjoy. You make one post with different views or you get the shark attack and are screamed at to be banned. It's disgusting. I see a lot of folks dedicated to religion yet the most intolerant and scathing are those same people.

dc
09/09/2006, 09:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109048#post8109048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wav3form
It is a club only a few can enjoy. You make one post with different views or you get the shark attack and are screamed at to be banned. It's disgusting. I see a lot of folks dedicated to religion yet the most intolerant and scathing are those same people.

You're just one cheery kind of guy aren't you? Who is making you be here? I have yet to understand people who complain but yet hang around.

batguano
09/09/2006, 09:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109034#post8109034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
WARNING:
OSHA and WORKERS COMP do NOT consider hurt feelings to be valid claims.
Exercise that sense of humor 'cause you don't want it to get Cloesd from lack of use.

Touche(apologies to Les Francais, I don't know where the accent or cedilla are on my computer), BigSky! I'm just preaching tolerance, that's all.

wav3form, someone I have become friends with was banned in that thread so I feel your pain, however, to paraphrase BrianD's signature, let's strive for an optimum environment. You guys were warned to knock it off. Whether or not you agree with the content, method or discretion of the mods, for this thing to work, we must respect them. The remedy is to file complaints with the Board of Directors, not to take on the moderators.

Anyway, I'm not feeling much fun today so I'm logging out. Thanks for listening.

dc
09/09/2006, 09:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8108700#post8108700 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by batguano
It seems that lately people have been wandering into the lounge and gotten offended or disgusted. Perhaps RC should post a warning on the lounge label in the general interest forums that in addition to the lounge being somewhere that RCers can go to talk about things other that reefs, members should not enter without a sense of humor, a healthy sense of self or at least an interest in hearing opinions that might not jibe with their own. Just my two cents. I've been enjoying this forum for a few months now and I would hate to see it become some kind of club where only a few people can enjoy it.

OK, I'm done preaching. :)

"Warning, we're sick, warped, and generally off our rockers. Enter at your own risk." :lol:

batguano
09/09/2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks Debi, that's exactly what I'm talking about! :lol:

Gawain1974
09/09/2006, 09:11 AM
J'imagine qu'on peut te pardonner pour les fautes d'accents--ce n'est pas grave.

batguano
09/09/2006, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109114#post8109114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gawain1974
J'imagine qu'on peut te pardonner pour les fautes d'accents--ce n'est pas grave.

Merci beaucoupe, mon ami. Je suis americain, alors je ne peut pas parler des autre langues. :lol:

Hey, wait a minute, the sense of humor is returning. Yes, yes, that's much better!

Au revoir mes amis!

BigSkyBart
09/09/2006, 09:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109104#post8109104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
"Warning, we're sick, warped, and generally off our rockers. Enter at your own risk." :lol:

Yea Deb, thats the point I was trying for!

yup, you all are sick, warped & generally off your rockers, I'm the only normal one :eek1: and you're in trouble now, because I'm gone for the next few months:lol:

wav3form
09/09/2006, 09:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109099#post8109099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
You're just one cheery kind of guy aren't you? Who is making you be here? I have yet to understand people who complain but yet hang around.

I have opinions like anyone else here. If people don't like them, that's no reason to scream for bans or to get harassed. I'm also not complaining, just making an observation.

dc
09/09/2006, 09:32 AM
LOL, well it's a bad obsevation. If you'll look at the sign up dates you'll see we didn't all join at the same time, and lock the key for outsiders. There's a fine line on the rules, mods make a judgement call on a lot of things. Some people that come in and make 'questionable' posts get scolded, it's how they react after that on how they are treated. Also coming in and making certain remarks when you don't even know people is risky. A lot of us are indeed friends 'clickish' if you want. We know if we're kidding most of the time, and if not we'll work it out between us. I've not been a mod here very long, but I have modded on other boards. Basic common sense rules. And rules are there for a reason.

Batty, we could all put it in our sig lines. :lol:

wav3form
09/09/2006, 09:40 AM
Well how long do you need to be a member until you can break the rules and get away with it? Is there something in particular I have to support or put in my sig or do I have to get on a scrip of Prozac and pretend to be cheery? Please advise.

Nina51
09/09/2006, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109104#post8109104 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc

i need a lawyer. that's plagerism (or however you spell that word). i have that sign hanging on my kitchen door for all to see before they step across the threshhold. now debi, give it back!

Nina51
09/09/2006, 09:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109220#post8109220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wav3form
Well how long do you need to be a member until you can break the rules and get away with it? Is there something in particular I have to support or put in my sig or do I have to get on a scrip of Prozac and pretend to be cheery? Please advise.

yer on thin ice.

crp
09/09/2006, 09:44 AM
I've been a member for a while and just started posting in the lounge not long ago. I have a good sense of humor and have never had a problem with anyone. This isn't a serious place. We come here to talk and tease each other. I've begun to pm some of the woman (everyone knows they are much better than the men!) and have learned alot about different people and personalities just by reading the posts in the lounge first. If you want to hang in the lounge, you need to lighten up and try to make friends instead of trying to start controversies. There are other boards for that.

dc
09/09/2006, 09:49 AM
Well if you feel someone is breaking the rules report them. Believe it or not the mods don't read every post and some things do slide by. Maybe one mod doesn't take it so serious as the next. Nobody is supposed to break the rules, not even mods. The lounge is definately a little more laxed than the main boards.
Honestly, nothing is a matter of how long, it's your attitude, that will make the call. Insulting the rules, and the mods probably isn't a good start. You will get noticed, not in a good way either. This is a private board, not a democracy, there is no freedom of speech here. Once you start getting reported by other members, you're on the radar. We're really not so bad here, and neither are the rules. I'm not sure why people find them so hard to follow.

dc
09/09/2006, 09:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109226#post8109226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
i need a lawyer. that's plagerism (or however you spell that word). i have that sign hanging on my kitchen door for all to see before they step across the threshhold. now debi, give it back!

You too huh? :lol:

wav3form
09/09/2006, 09:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109229#post8109229 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
yer on thin ice.

Exactly what I was talking about.

dc
09/09/2006, 09:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109238#post8109238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
I've been a member for a while and just started posting in the lounge not long ago. I have a good sense of humor and have never had a problem with anyone. This isn't a serious place. We come here to talk and tease each other. I've begun to pm some of the woman (everyone knows they are much better than the men!) and have learned alot about different people and personalities just by reading the posts in the lounge first. If you want to hang in the lounge, you need to lighten up and try to make friends instead of trying to start controversies. There are other boards for that.

so there's not really a secret handshake in here?:eek1:

dc
09/09/2006, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109273#post8109273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wav3form
Exactly what I was talking about.

Just loosen up, we're not that bad!

crp
09/09/2006, 09:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109279#post8109279 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
so there's not really a secret handshake in here?:eek1:

Nope, not that I know of, unless someone visiting me in my sleep!

In fact I lurked for quite a while before I started posting. I then said hi and was greeted pretty warmly. I even posted a couple of serious threads I need some help on and everyone was helpful in their responses and some even pm'd me for a more personal experience.

But I also don't post to try to start a controversy or argument for no reason.

The only one I'm not sure about is that upside down guy. Something's not right there! :D

dc
09/09/2006, 10:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109304#post8109304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
Nope, not that I know of, unless someone visiting me in my sleep!

In fact I lurked for quite a while before I started posting. I then said hi and was greeted pretty warmly. I even posted a couple of serious threads I need some help on and everyone was helpful in their responses and some even pm'd me for a more personal experience.

But I also don't post to try to start a controversy or argument for no reason.

The only one I'm not sure about is that upside down guy. Something's not right there! :D

LOL, he should have a disclaimer don't you think? :D

crp
09/09/2006, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109318#post8109318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
LOL, he should have a disclaimer don't you think? :D

He's a simple man (aren't they all) doesn't take long to figure out?

dc
09/09/2006, 10:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109327#post8109327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
He's a simple man (aren't they all) doesn't take long to figure out?

Yes indeed.

Ok, here's one for sigs.

RC Lounge~Questionable Humor~Enter at Own Risk

crp
09/09/2006, 10:10 AM
Hey, we even let Bat join, and he's a lawyer! What were we thinking? :lol:

Edit: I OWN page two. Take that bat! :D

dc
09/09/2006, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109367#post8109367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp

http://images1.fotki.com/v334/photos/2/28482/3138600/hylaughs-vi.gif

Good point!

otolith
09/09/2006, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109327#post8109327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
He's a simple man (aren't they all) doesn't take long to figure out? And WE men (and you women) are much better off that way. Maybe you guys, err gals, should learn to not be so complex. ;)

dc
09/09/2006, 10:23 AM
We're trying to work your minds a little. :D

gtrestoration
09/09/2006, 10:24 AM
Do you know what I think? I don't.

SteveU

crp
09/09/2006, 10:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109441#post8109441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration

SteveU

You think whatever you're wife tells you to think. :D

batguano
09/09/2006, 10:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109367#post8109367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp

Copy cat! pfffft :p

You know what this is beginning to feel like? Heeeeaaaaaaling!
Yes, feel the heal. Allow the smile to come through your teeth and spread out across your lips. That's it. Yes, I feel it now. Definitely...:) There it is!

Awww, thanks guys (and I mean that in the gender neutral sense)!

dc
09/09/2006, 10:49 AM
:lol: I'm sure you do Batty!

Ritten
09/09/2006, 11:00 AM
Bat, I'm going to sing just for you. . . Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day, I've got a wonderful feeeeeling, everything's going my way.

gtrestoration
09/09/2006, 11:26 AM
Oh what a beautiful morning
Oh, what a beautiful day,
I've got a terrible feeling,
Everything's coming my way.

SteveU

BrianD
09/09/2006, 11:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109048#post8109048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wav3form

I am sick of your whining and complaining. No one makes you post here. You have been warned more times than I can count for your insolent behaviour. I am not warning you again. If you don't like it here, get the heck out, or the choice can easily be made for you.

BrianD
09/09/2006, 11:45 AM
Batguano, the person you refer to asked to be moved on. He was unable to abide by a simple request and chose to leave the board rather than do so.

As for the point you are making, I am sure there is quite a bit of truth it, and I think everyone should consider it when they post to "nonregulars".

batguano
09/09/2006, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109624#post8109624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ritten
Bat, I'm going to sing just for you. . . Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day, I've got a wonderful feeeeeling, everything's going my way.

Thanks Kellie! You too, gtrestoration, for your, uh, redition of the tune.

Brian: You don't have to defend yourself to me. I saw what happened. Frankly, I don't think that either of you wanted it to go that way. You are both highly intelligent, if not a little petulant, guys. I told the forum how I feel. Challenging a moderator is not appropriate behavior. I, for one, am reviewing the user agreement in the hopes of helping to avoid situations like that in the future. I think everyone should reread the ua once in a while.

BrianD
09/09/2006, 12:33 PM
We have a User Agreement?

Who knew.

BrianD
09/09/2006, 12:35 PM
Oh, and I have a pet dog, but I don't have a pet ulant. I am not even sure what one is.

dc
09/09/2006, 12:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110099#post8110099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
We have a User Agreement?

Who knew.

And I'm going to read it someday!!:lol:

batguano
09/09/2006, 12:39 PM
You see, if you were new to the forum, I would tell you to look it up. Then, I would chide you about your spelling and grammar in general. Then I would insult your avatar (but you wouldn't have one because you are new) and so on and so on. But not now. This is the new, more tolerant, more inclusive, more accepting me. See? Look, a smiley emoticon... :)

kfisc
09/09/2006, 12:41 PM
Who who in the what what? Hmm? Something happened just now, I just know it.

Nevermind, it's time for lunch. Wallpaper remover maked me woozy.

dc
09/09/2006, 12:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110122#post8110122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by batguano
You see, if you were new to the forum, I would tell you to look it up. Then, I would chide you about your spelling and grammar in general. Then I would insult your avatar (but you wouldn't have one because you are new) and so on and so on. But not now. This is the new, more tolerant, more inclusive, more accepting me. See? Look, a smiley emoticon... :)

And then there's those people who slip the smilie in, evading trouble. Hmmm....

So Batty, you like my new sig? Just for you.

dc
09/09/2006, 12:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110129#post8110129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kfisc
Who who in the what what? Hmm? Something happened just now, I just know it.

Nevermind, it's time for lunch. Wallpaper remover maked me woozy.

you're supposed to put it on the wall, not inhale it! Sheesh.

BrianD
09/09/2006, 12:44 PM
In all seriousness, batpoop's point is well taken.

crp
09/09/2006, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110147#post8110147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrianD
In all seriousness, batpoop's point is well taken.

Seriousness???? This is the lounge and THAT is not allowed! Now, who are you and what did you do with Brian? :D

batguano
09/09/2006, 12:49 PM
I love it Debi. It is quite appropriate to the situation. :) (Heartfelt smiley, not facetious or even sarcastic) :) (again)

batguano
09/09/2006, 12:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110164#post8110164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
Seriousness???? This is the lounge and THAT is not allowed! Now, who are you and what did you do with Brian? :D

Carrie, I bet you can't wait to clean your son's football uniform when he comes home today, can ya, huh, huh?

dc
09/09/2006, 12:53 PM
Now I just have to get out of the lounge and make it visible. ;)

gtrestoration
09/09/2006, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110194#post8110194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
Now I just have to get out of the lounge and make it visible. ;)

Yeah right, never gonna happen.

I'd put in a smiley but after ready above I'm not sure it would do any good. :)

I got page 3.... make me an offer.

SteveU

Nina51
09/09/2006, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109441#post8109441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration

SteveU

that depends on which head is thinking. i think i know which head is thinking what.

batpoop, if you are tolerant and more accepting, you can't possibly be a lawyer. you are impersonating a lawyer, are you not? you're really a circus clown, right? oh wait, i guess those are interchangeable. never mind. i'm going outside to play. :p

dc
09/09/2006, 01:07 PM
I'm shocked Nina, just shocked!

gtrestoration
09/09/2006, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110249#post8110249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
that depends on which head is thinking. i think i know which head is thinking what.

Nina... see below

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8109448#post8109448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
You think whatever and WHENEVER you're wife tells you to think. :D

And who pray tell am I to argue.

:lol:

SteveU

dc
09/09/2006, 01:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110235#post8110235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration
Yeah right, never gonna happen.

I'd put in a smiley but after ready above I'm not sure it would do any good. :)

I got page 3.... make me an offer.

SteveU

make me an offer not to delete your post. ;^)

gtrestoration
09/09/2006, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110317#post8110317 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
make me an offer not to delete your post. ;^)

You like Nina better? I'm hurt.

I'll double her offer.

SteveU

dc
09/09/2006, 01:24 PM
http://images15.fotki.com/v245/photos/2/28482/376550/haha5-vi.gif

PUGroyale
09/09/2006, 01:37 PM
:lol2: @ this thread

crp
09/09/2006, 02:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8110192#post8110192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by batguano
Carrie, I bet you can't wait to clean your son's football uniform when he comes home today, can ya, huh, huh?

The boy is refusing to bring home his practice jersey! :lol: He changes in the locker room before I pick him up. I think he thinks the dirtier it is, the better.

He's practiced every night this week for 3 hours and then again this morning for 3 hours. He understands he's new to the game and may not get to actually play much but he's sticking with it. They are hard practices but he's having fun. A couple of his friends (including his best friend) quit already. I asked him what he thought about that and his response was:

Mom, I'm new and I'm learning. It's like karate. I'm just starting as a white belt and they have black belts on the team. I joined the team and I'm not quiting. The more I play the better I'll get.

Makes me proud!!!!! :D (so he can stink a little if he wants :lol: )

batguano
09/09/2006, 04:22 PM
That's awesome Carrie. He sounds like he'll go far. What an excellent attitude. Tell him Batguano says,"Winners never quit and quitters never win!"

JmLee
09/09/2006, 06:55 PM
hey dc, how long have you been a mod now?. How come i have never noticed you where a mod before?. Err must be getting old.

dc
09/09/2006, 07:12 PM
Seems like forever! :lol:

ok, 5 whole days

beerguy
09/09/2006, 07:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111964#post8111964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JmLee
must be getting old.

Yeah we figured that we'd better make her a mod before he eyesight goes completely.

JmLee
09/09/2006, 07:16 PM
lmao. Congradulations!. Please be gentle.

crp
09/09/2006, 07:17 PM
Man, 5 whole days and you haven't banned anyone yet??? What are you waiting for? :D

dc
09/09/2006, 07:21 PM
Hey my job is to boss people around, not ban. I do that very well! :lol:

Nina51
09/09/2006, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8111964#post8111964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JmLee
hey dc, how long have you been a mod now?. How come i have never noticed you where a mod before?. Err must be getting old.

welcome to my world.

JmLee
09/09/2006, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8112186#post8112186 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
welcome to my world.

:lol: