PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fair Price??????????

Ortho Bill
09/08/2006, 05:58 PM
92G Oceanic tank
Oceanic Stand and Cap (plastic)
5+ yrs. old
supposidly in storage last 2+ yrs.

No scratches in tank
normal wear on stand

$400

Just Jim
09/08/2006, 06:50 PM
seems high. Plus its any oceanic, so make sure that's what you want. In this hobby you can never say never. One day you say I'll never keep sps, the next thing you're in a lfs buying a calc reactor...:D

spankey
09/08/2006, 09:34 PM
Plus watch, I heard that Oceanic started to use tempered glass to reduce weight.

Just incase you plan to drill it.

That price seems high for an old tank. But now that I think about it, if the tank is over 5 years old, it shouldn't be tempered after all...

Good luck.
Spankey

Stixbaraca
09/08/2006, 09:55 PM
sounds high to me also.

spankey
09/08/2006, 10:07 PM
Stix you "reef pimp" how goes it....

Ortho Bill
09/08/2006, 10:16 PM
Should I back out? I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow. They need to take a window out in order for me to get it. I'm really stressing over this now......

Stixbaraca
09/09/2006, 07:44 AM
Make them an offer for what your gut tells you it shold be worth...being used and 5 years old!

Hey Sal ~ All is well here...how are you?

frank2926
09/09/2006, 08:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8107450#post8107450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ortho Bill
Should I back out? I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow. They need to take a window out in order for me to get it. I'm really stressing over this now......

It is not that high of a price. A new oceanic corner or bow with plastic cap and stand is about a thousand at the lfs. If you have to have an oceanic corner those things are not up for sale used that much. as long as the silicone is in good shape and the overflow is still firmly seated in the silicone and has no scratches than I would say its a fair price. could you offer less ...sure they can always just say no, and you pay the asking price. you dont get what you dont ask for. most people do end up just wanting to get rid of the tank .... I ended up giving away my 55g just to get it out of my garage .

Marshall
09/09/2006, 07:50 PM
I don't think it is a horrible price you have to pick your battles. You could probably get it for $300ish if you looked long and hard. Is all that hassle worth $100? If this one is close and what you want, I say get it. I would leak test it first though.

Ben
09/09/2006, 09:15 PM
I would be concerned with the silicone being dried up, depending on where it was stored. If it doesnt feel nice and rubbery still you may need to re-do it. It isnt too hard to re-do it but if it does look dried or it was stored in the garage or sun I would offer a bit less.

spankey
09/10/2006, 02:18 AM
After I looked at this one more time I realized that $400 for the tank, cap and stand isn't such a bad deal as long what Ben stated. The silicone is soft and still holding. If I were you, before you buy it, Have the guy fill it and wait a few minutes, that is if he can and you and he are willing to do this on the spot.

But now that I think about it, I look back to what I paid for my first standard 55 gallon with stand and light and we all know the stand's were crap and the lights stunk!
I won't mention what I paid, and that was before that pet place ever existed to my wallet....:(:(

But again, good luck either route you decide to go.
Sal.

Big Boy69
09/14/2006, 11:48 AM
Personally I think it is too much.
I just picked up an All Glass 120 for 50 bucks new.

I'd toffer the guy 200 bucks.