PDA

View Full Version : Tank Stand Dilemma

RyanCD
09/08/2006, 11:21 AM
I have had FOWLR tanks in the past but now I am finally ready to take the plunge into a reef tank. Here is the AGA tank I want to work with:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/RyanCD/IMG_4967.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/RyanCD/IMG_4966.jpg

The dilemma I have come to is that the stand opening is much to small to fit in a sump, refugium and my hands while working on it and doing water changes.

I am nervous about messing with the stand because I fear the structural integrity will be shot. Does anyone have any ideas of a stand I could build for this tank that would look nice, yet house all of the equipment (this is going in my living room so I don't want to see any of the equipment)? I am at a loss for a design for the stand.

The other problem that needs to be addressed is that the tank itself has about a 1/2 inch lip around the bottom so that it slips over the stand it came with. I think whatever I build would have to incorporate some sort of ledge to hold it and support the bottom or could foam do the trick??

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Raibaru
09/08/2006, 11:34 AM
Wish I had a scanner or something to show you it.

But it is just a typical hexagon shaped stand maybe 2ft wide and 2.5ft tall with a marble top. Inside it is just a cabinet. A plant is centered on the top and one of those dome shaped lights (the kind where the light faces up?) is attached to a cord suspended from the ceiling. Before the plant we had a beta bowl on it.

I have no idea how big the tank you have is, but it is obvious you would need to reinforce it since I doubt this table could support me, let alone a 300+ lb aquarium. Plus the stand you will need may be quit large and would take up to much space with this kind of setup.

But building it from scratch you could easily cut a ledge in the center of it for your aquarium and use tile or finished wood on the top to make it look nice. Would leave room for your coffee cup, tv remotes and everything!

How big is the aquarium?

SirSmapty
09/08/2006, 12:22 PM
The trick is to make the best use of space you can.
I built a stand for a 29G that was going in an alcove. I built the stand to support the tank, but I also built it to have a bookshelf and a place under the book shelf to house the ref/sump equipment that doesn't fit under the tank.

Look in my gallery to get an idea, the shelf on the right, the bottom has been covered.

fkshiu
09/08/2006, 12:32 PM
Ever consider going sumpless with a HOB skimmer/refugium?

ericwebster
09/08/2006, 12:32 PM
A sump can be made to fit anywhere .. it just matters how hard/costly it is.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/cube_sump.html

I know you could get one built by him .. may be kinda costly.

RyanCD
09/08/2006, 03:20 PM
Raibaru, well my tank measured from the inside of the glass to the top (excluding the cover) it is 20" high and I beleive it is 13" deep but not positive as I am at work (shhh).

I like your idea SirSmapty. I am just trying to figure out if something like that would look funny with my tank since it is tall and skinny. Do you agree? Time to get the sketch book out!

fkshiu, I have thought about that but I have never had a sump before which makes me really want one this time around! My last two tanks were an eclipse and I just used that filtration in the hood with regular water changes and my other tank was a jbj nano.

eric, I have thought about building one, well actually making my boyfriend build one :) (I'm a girl by the way, not that any one would make any judgements) and that shouldn't be any problem but I still run into the problem of the stand being too small for me to work in with my hands and water changes. I would guess the opening on the stand is about 8" if even.

RyanCD
09/08/2006, 03:26 PM
One more note. You can see in my first picture how that terrarium fits perfectly inside yet that can hardly be accessed through the back of the stand. I just don't know what kind of stand will give me the room I want and not look ridiculous with the shape of the tank.

Why did they make such a horrible stand!? It doesn't even have a cabinet door or shelves inside. I definitely regretting purchasing the stand but at least I have the excuse that it was a few years ago when I didn't have a mortgage!

Randall_James
09/08/2006, 03:55 PM
The other problem that needs to be addressed is that the tank itself has about a 1/2 inch lip around the bottom so that it slips over the stand it came with. I think whatever I build would have to incorporate some sort of ledge to hold it and support the bottom or could foam do the trick??

The frame should be resting on the stand itself...

"Most" small footprint tanks I have seen sit on the frame of the tank and require no support on the bottom. Just make sure that the bottom frame does not go over the edge of the stand. It sounds like you are saying that the tank already extends over the edge of the stand and the tank sits on the stand on the floor glass of the tank. This is probably not a good idea unless the tank maker has specifically stated that this is an "Ok" situation

RyanCD
09/08/2006, 05:02 PM
Yes, the tanks bottom where the glass is sits on the stand that was bought with the tank and then the black base you see around the bottom extends over the stand.

RyanCD
09/09/2006, 11:02 AM
any ideas???? or should I just forget it and use one of the other tanks I have lying around? The only thing I can think of is building a larger stand but I still run into the problem that it just won't look right... is someone else reading this have this tank and have it setup??

Randall_James
09/09/2006, 11:57 AM
I have never had a glass tank that sat on directly on the floor of the tank. They have always sat on the frame of the tank. If this is a homemade stand you may want to take some 3/4 or 1" MDF and make a top for the stand that supports the tank by the frame and not the glass floor

AnAnemone
09/09/2006, 04:47 PM
I like that tank size. Stand looks good, too. How about next to the tank in a cabinet or something. Having just moved and setting up again, the space under my tank was a royal pain to access, so this time I think I'll make it easy on myself.
No one said they have to be under the tank.
TimO

RyanCD
09/10/2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Tim. That's a good point...back to the drawing board :)