PDA

View Full Version : Help on standpipe

aomont
09/08/2006, 12:38 AM
I am planning to set a breeding system and was trying to do much of the stuff by myself. However Iīm very little used to carry DIY projects and have trouble even with simple tasks...
The first of them is the standpipe. I was thinking to put it in the back/front wall instead of the bottom so I can gain free space between racks.

:) That I can do ! :)

What I canīt is making this standpipe "bendable" (I'm not an english speaker so I donīt know if this word exists or I just invented) from position A to B.
First draw is a side view and then the front view.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/123055Standpipe_doubt.JPG

All I have to do is not gluing the elbow to the bulk ? Any chance that I mess up with the glass or anything while bending it ?

My intention was to make adjusting water level and empting the tank easier...

Any comment will be very welcome !

Anderson.

kgross
09/08/2006, 02:52 AM
The biggest problem with this setup is that if you have a leak at the bendable section (ie bulkhead) if your pump stops for any reason you could end up draining the tank when you don't want to. Personally I would not do this, to much of a chance of a leak at the bulkhead which could cause a mess.

Kim

aomont
09/08/2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the reply kgross !

Havenīt thought about a small leak leading to draining... Didnīt like the idea of an empty aquarium during a power failure. :(

Does it happen to bottom standpipe or you thinking it because of the bending thing ?

Anderson.

kgross
09/09/2006, 04:46 AM
I think that whatever you use to make it bendable will have a chance of leaking. Just having a bulkhead in the bottom is not a problem as long as it is sealed correctly. But to make your pipe bendable, it seems like it will have to be loose in the bulkhead hence a chance for a leak.

Kim

dngspot
09/09/2006, 07:18 AM
I would think that you could use elbows. This would allow you to make the bends. If you use silicone you would be allowed to disassemble them also. I have seen setups like this in out LFS.

latazyo
09/09/2006, 09:25 AM
you could use threaded elbow

aomont
09/09/2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Kim, I see your point. I was thinking of the threaded pipes and joints like latazio has suggested but I see how bending could be dangerous (many places to leak).

dngspot, I saw it in a LFS also ! Thatīs why I was thinking about it ! Iīll ask them on monday to check for any problems on this design though.

A friend suggested the use of changeable standpipe with different lengths... no standpipe = drain. I liked it, using threaded pipes would be easy to change them and no "bending thing" ! Even if the leak possibility still exists at the base of it I think it will minimized if itīs stick in place.

What do you think ?

Have also post this question to theBreeding forum (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8113389#post8113389)

Thank you all very much !
Anderson.