PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint shrimp MIA

logan0171
09/07/2006, 09:34 PM
Well I put the second half of my TBS package in last night. Eveything seemed well. The Peppermint shrimp was not shy at all and was all over the tank. This morning it was "cleaning" a powerhead. Throughout the day however and when I got home the shrimp was no where to be seen? I do hear clicking in the tank and I know there is at least one mantis in there. Do you think the pepermint shrimp became somethings dinner? Are they usually active and mostly visible or do they tend to hide in the rocks? This is my first saltwater tank so I'm definitely learning. Thanks.

angelsj247
09/07/2006, 09:41 PM
well if you have alot of rock im sure it is hiding. mine hide all the time.. especially the first weeks of them being in there. they normally come our during feeding. but he is probably hiding.

abugs1985
09/07/2006, 09:46 PM
I'd put money on it that the little bugger is hiding somewhere in the rocks...i wouldn't worry as of yet.

Agu
09/07/2006, 09:56 PM
If you have a mantis odds are that the peppermint was invited to be lunch.

Although they tend to hide, their hiding places are where a mantis would search for prey.

logan0171
09/09/2006, 05:30 AM
Update - I finally spotted it at night. Apparently it has taken a liking to the bottom of a rock where it seems to hide. As for the mantis, I've seen one in a hole on a rock. By time I got the rock out and tried numerous tactics to remove it, nothing came out. I suspect it jumped off the rock before it was removed from the tank. I think there may be at least one other as I do hear loud knocking sounds coming from two distinct areas of the tank. I set some food in a glass as a trap but only found hermits in there the next day. Hopefully I won't lose too much of the cleanup crew before getting the mantis out.