PDA

View Full Version : dwarf angels

whiteice669
09/06/2006, 08:01 PM
anyone keep both a flame angel and a coral beauty together? any problems, its a 55g

BTTRFLYGRL
09/06/2006, 08:53 PM
Not a good idea..As a rule, Centropyge Angels don't like their own kind..They are known to fight to the death.
BUT people have had success when mixing Dwarfs with completely different coloration in LARGE tanks...6'+...
I would not recommend doing this in a 55

usmcsgt
09/06/2006, 09:25 PM
I have a Coral Beauty and a Rusty Angel that get along together.

lilprincess
09/06/2006, 09:42 PM
You could get away with it in a 75g. 55g is really pushing it, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. For their sake, pick one or the other (I know it's hard!) or get a larger tank.

AquaReeferMan
09/06/2006, 10:22 PM
I have heard of success stories but I wouldnt personally try it. I know whenever we got different angels in at work they would usually fight. The large angels would usually stay away from the dwarfs but if you mixed 2 large ones or 2 dwarfs they would chase each other around. Maybe if you got 2 juveniles and placed them into tank at the same time it might work.

abugs1985
09/06/2006, 10:32 PM
I have a very similar livestock list as you do... 1 yellow tang, 2 percs, a yellow striped maroon clown, a coral beauty and a flame dwarf. I really took a chance putting all these fish in my 55 gal but they all get along. I originally had two tanks but had to get rid of one because I cracked it during some maintenance and I had to put the coral beauty and maroon clown from that tank to the one they're all in now. The angels did fight for a while and they would chase eachother out of the rocks a lot but now they leave each other alone. Be careful if you do it. Just keep an eye on them.

ACBlinky
09/06/2006, 11:10 PM
I have a CB, a flame and a white tail pygmy in my 65g. They don't fight, but they do have a pecking order. IMO Centropyges can be kept together as long as they have enough space and rockwork so they can get away from one another if they need to.

theduckster
09/06/2006, 11:13 PM
i had read and heard of many success stories of it working
so i tried a flame angel and a coral beauty it didn't go well from the first second they seen each other
when i first set up my 135 g a couple of years ago
they went at it like two mad pit bulls
and by the whey now i only have the flame

HTH

Fountainhead
09/07/2006, 08:11 AM
If you look at the description of the Coral Beauty at saltwaterfish.com, they state that you shouldn't put the CB in with another dwarf angel. In fact, they say if you try to order two angels, they won't ship it until you provide written confirmation that you're putting them in seperate tanks.

Sounds like a losing proposition to me. I don't doubt that some people have made it work, but I wonder how many more have lost their fish trying it.

HBtank
09/07/2006, 11:44 AM
My CB and flame are buddies in my 80g. :)

I implied a little knowledge from my FW chiclid days (as aggressive as ANY fish) and added them one week apart, with my small CB first to let him figure the tank out and be able to escape if needed, then adding a much larger flame. I chose a large size difference, as this totally allows the smaller fish to escape chases very quickly in rocks. As well, it has always seemed to eliminate the "fights to the death" with any fish for me, as you really only have to be concerned with the more dominate large fish. I only let the CB have the tank to himslef for a week so it would not become too territorial as well.

Luckily this was all uneeded.

No war occured. The CB was the more established fish, but knew his limits. The flame being new, did not go on a territorial rampage and slowly has assumed his role as king of the tank (but with a soft hand) :)

I think i got lucky, but it can be donw. I just have a passion for angels and had to have two since I refuse to stuff any of my true favorites in a 80g, the large angels.