PDA

View Full Version : stuck by urchin.! help please

bobt2
09/06/2006, 07:43 PM
i just misshandled my florida longspine urchin and have a bunce of spines under my skin. anything i should worry about or just pick them out as best i can? bob

Sk8r
09/06/2006, 07:50 PM
Mostly just pick them out, as I understand it. If they went deep you may want to get this done at a doctor's office, where they have good gripping [sterile!] tweezers and may administer a topical painkiller: you have to concern yourself as well with myriad bacteria in the water in which the wound happened, which can be worse than marine venom. If very shallow, you might be able to pick them out. But I think your doctor would appreciate bragging rights to this case, and you would be safer and more comfortable in the process. Ah---I see you're in biomed, so you know how it will delight the doctor. ;) You can probably classify this as an 'accident' for your insurance company.

bobt2
09/06/2006, 08:02 PM
i may be in bio-med but i hate dr's. it wasn't even in the water, i was moving it to a different tank and it slipped. i put my hand out to catch it. dummy!the pain is already gone, cant dig them out,peroxide and grin for now.

pitako8
09/06/2006, 08:33 PM
Please read this.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=93

I had a friend that inadvertently stepped on a sea urchin. We got most spines out. After a few hours, friend developed an infection. She had to see a doctor.

Take care.

ReefObsessor805
09/07/2006, 12:35 AM
Oouch.

bobt2
09/07/2006, 07:39 AM
thanks for the link!hot water, peroxide and bacitracin. next morning now and clearing up nicely.

seahorsedreams
09/09/2006, 01:38 AM
Yeowie! Keep us updated.

lux_06
09/09/2006, 02:07 AM
get your hand in a solution of vinegar and warm water, my brother stepped on a stingray and they use this to keep the pains from the toxins down and keep the wound clean i believe....

my dad once stepped on an urchin in barbados and he said it was the most painful thing in his life, had to go to hospital and had it delt with there.

iamwhatiam52
09/10/2006, 12:31 AM
Don't try to remove the spines. Tiny barbs cover the spines so they won't come out.

I've been stuck a hundred times snorkeling and diving.

Leave them alone, they disolve in a week or so.

iamwhatiam52
09/10/2006, 12:31 AM
Don't try to remove the spines. Tiny barbs cover the spines so they won't come out.

I've been stuck a hundred times snorkeling and diving.

Leave them alone, they disolve in a week or so.

Bebo77
09/10/2006, 12:35 AM
dude go see a doctor asap