PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner Shrimp compatible w/ Peppermint

reef_doug
09/06/2006, 07:17 PM
Tank is 180g. I would like to add 5 cleaner skunk shrimp and 5 peppermint shrimp; are they compatible?

I believe a coral banded would cause problems so I will leave them out.

How can I tell the difference between Peppermint shrimp and Camel shrimp? (Just so I don't get a non-reef comp shrimp accidently from a LFS).

Thanks
Doug

spawner
09/07/2006, 08:38 AM
I don't know if you have enough space in a 180 gallon to get away with 5 cleaner shrimps, when they pair up, they're going to look to get ride of the reminders. You might have enough tank space, but you might not. As far as the peppermints and cleaners you'll have not problems. I keep peppermints, fire, and cleaner shrimp together in 20 gallon tanks with no problems.

Camel shrimp have a hump on there back. Google Camel shrimp and you'll get some pictures.

tgrove
09/09/2006, 10:04 PM
i have a pair of coral banded and pepermints and have no issues at all

in a 55g

petoonia
09/10/2006, 01:50 AM
Make sure they are introduced at the same time, and are similar in size. I have 2 skunk cleaner shrimp and made the mistake of adding 2 smaller peppermint shrimp. The skunk cleaners killed them both.

I would suggest you stick with even numbers as well, they usually pair up.

Coral Banded Shrimp arent always trouble. They are usually to slow to catch anything, but they are quite funny when they try. They are usually fine when you only put one in a tank. Unless you can find a true mated pair.

Good Luck!!!

dc
09/10/2006, 09:15 AM
Peppermints are red and clear, camels are red and white, and have a hump on them.

I've had several peppermints in my tank, and always only 2 cleaners. I'm guessing with your size of tank a couple pairs would be fine. Also peppermints tend to come out at night, and cleaners tend to stay out all day. Of course then there's the ones that never do what the books say. :D