PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Frozen Fish Food Recipe

slavearm
09/05/2006, 05:20 PM
Ok... this is my first go at it (in large scale anyways) so here is what I am planning to use.

Krill
Mysis
Cyclopeze
Oyster Eggs
Selcon
RODI Water

Throw it all in a blender (while the wife is out of the house of course)
Add to trays
Freeze and feed.

Thanks for any input.

Shane

09/05/2006, 05:24 PM
Add some Formula one and two, and some reef roids if you have corals.

gcarroll
09/05/2006, 05:28 PM
How about adding some nori? Gotta have a balanced diet. :D

pookstreet
09/05/2006, 05:34 PM
Here is what else I have added to my homemade food besides your list. Just go to the nearest Asian supermarket and you'll find all the items for sale.

Silverfish (really small fish)
Frozen oysters
Frozen clams
Frozen squid
A few scallops
Nori sheets

And whatever else you feel like while shopping. I don't think any of the fresh seafoods are problematic.

I bought a $10 blender from Big Lots to blend my food so I don't have to argue about the smell :D

Put the blended food in zip lock bags and freeze flat. Makes it easier to break off whatever size you need to feed the tank.

Have fun. I know I did and my whole tank loves it.

I don't know about the Reef Roids tho if you have SPS. The last time I put that stuff into a tank, some of my SPS weren't too happy afterwards and there was some tissue death. Don't know if it's related to the Reef Roids tho.

saltyESQ
09/05/2006, 05:36 PM
my porc puffer doesn't even look at the formula 2 and trigger formula I put in the tank. He only pays attention to shrimp.

any idea on how to get a porc puffer to eat frozen prepared food?

ezcompany
09/05/2006, 06:00 PM
so you're basically buying frozen food, thawing, and blending it up again?

here is my mix:

Formula 1 frozen
Formula 2 flake
Hikari Mysis
Aqua Yums Mysis
Ocean Nutrition Reef Blend (no gel binders)
Shot of DTs Reef Phyto
Reef Roids
Freeze Dried Cyclopeeze
Spirulina flake
Drop of Zoomax
Drop of Salifert Coral Food
Selcon
Boyds VitaChem

imo, i leave the mix of clams, scallops, fish bits etc. to formula 1 and ocean nutrition reef mix. i figure all my corals can absorb something from that batch. oh, and i'm gonna add my Ultramin F sample tonight :D (thanks Gabe!)

slavearm
09/05/2006, 06:06 PM
I totally forgot about adding silversides.

I normally just feed Nori on a clip... but you think it would be good to add to my homemade cubes? Why not.

I like the idea of the spirulina. I suppose if I added enough stuff in, I could just feed the frozen food and no pellets/flakes... SWEET!

I have a question though. Before, I was thawing out the frozen food with RODI/Selcon mixture. When I make this batch, do I just dump it in the tank? I imagine thawing it out would make a mess.

pookstreet
09/05/2006, 06:11 PM
Most of the bigger frozen seafood isn't too messy when thawing. In terms of the frozen mysis, krill, and other smaller foods, I just break into small pieces and dump into the blender and mix first with just enough liquid to get it going. Add more ro/di water or other liquid foods as needed. It worked fine for me that way.

sinned
09/05/2006, 07:01 PM
Here is a link to a video (reefcast) on making fish/coral food. Dennis
http://www.reefcast.com/videos/DIY_Fish_Food.mpg

Žeefer
09/05/2006, 11:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084406#post8084406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slavearm
I totally forgot about adding silversides.

I normally just feed Nori on a clip... but you think it would be good to add to my homemade cubes? Why not.

I like the idea of the spirulina. I suppose if I added enough stuff in, I could just feed the frozen food and no pellets/flakes... SWEET!

I have a question though. Before, I was thawing out the frozen food with RODI/Selcon mixture. When I make this batch, do I just dump it in the tank? I imagine thawing it out would make a mess.

I use shot glasses to thaw frozen foods...everyone thinks I'm an alky, I have to explain all the time the shot glasses in the dish dryer are for the fish. lol

Do you think the human frozen foods are ok for the tank? It is probably really cheap.

DRC69
09/06/2006, 10:50 AM
I like this idea. Maybe I'll try this.