PDA

View Full Version : Cyano??

gabegmonkey
09/05/2006, 09:41 AM
How can I get rid if it? It's ruining my Sandbed... I keep pulling everything I can out by Hand but it just comes back... is there any sort of chemical means that is safe for fish etc.? Does too much light play any part? Or is it primarily lack of flow?

sharky_steve
09/05/2006, 11:03 AM
vacuum it off the substrate. chemiclean is a good and safe product when used as directed. increasing flow might be helpful.

AustinVines
09/05/2006, 01:06 PM
How long has the tank been up and running. Water changes (small and often - say 5 gallons each day for 3-4 days, then every 2-3 days, until you notice it subsiding) and vacuuming the slime off the sand/rocks is a great way to achieve some temporary relief. I had it very, very bad but with the water changes, vacuuming and time (tank was only a month old when it began) cured it w/o the need for chemicals/additives. I notice it beginning to come back now if I slack on water changes.

PatMayo
09/05/2006, 01:39 PM
You don't say how long your tank has been up so I can only assume not very long.

I would do at least 30% water changes in a month. So if you have a 100 gallon total volume I would change at least 30 gallons during the month or more.

I would make sure you have a good skimmer and that it works well. Lighten up the feeding and reduce lights if you don't have any corals.

Flow isn't the answer but it most likely helps a bit. I would have plenty of it.

And last of all a dose of time will help you.

Regards,

Pat

grinch77
09/05/2006, 04:33 PM
I am having a small problem with this stuff as well I have been doing five gallon changes once a week.I am told as time goes on it will start to die off hope so that stuff is nasty looking.Oh yeah the tanks a twenty long so basically a 25% change a week.

chopsuey
09/05/2006, 05:03 PM
I had a real bad Red Slime / Cayno alge problem and no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of it. I did frequent water changes, I only use RO/DI and Have increased the flow to the area affected by the alge. Nothing seemed to work. So I added some of this stuff.

http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/150/UL1311.jpg

You can get it at: Marine Depot (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=UL1311)

or at a LFS. This stuff works like a champ. I have not seen any Red alge since I used it.

gabegmonkey
09/05/2006, 06:57 PM
Tank has been up for about 4 months or so... I know it's somewhat normal in early stages to have this but geez it seems like I have a ton of it... I'm considering using a chemical just to start over with less Cyano... is there some sort of drawback to using ChemiClean or Red SLime Remover?

chopsuey
09/06/2006, 12:46 AM
None that I have seen with the Ultra Life product.

outy
09/06/2006, 01:43 AM
its a normal cycle that your going through. new tanks just have to get through it.

dont use redslime remover, it will kill benificial bacteria

if you have to use something chemi-clean is the only thing i would ever use.

gabegmonkey
09/06/2006, 12:23 PM
Good to know... So red slime remover has an Anti-Biotic in it or something? That would definately be a MAJOR drawback...