PDA

View Full Version : Lobsters in restraunts.

itz frank
09/05/2006, 01:04 AM
Ok. So unless there's a FRESHWATER lobster, which there could be, what do they use to keep their lobsters alive? The tanks are usually barebottom and i can't see much for a return line or anything. Anyone else ever ponder this?

outy
09/05/2006, 01:20 AM
i ponder that there very tasty and i really wonder when i can sit my hiney down and have some more with lots of butter and a filet :)

bertoni
09/05/2006, 01:22 AM
Moved to the lounge. A bit off-topic for NTTH.

Special "lobster salts" are used to keep animals in restaurants. They aren't very good for
the animals long-term, but they're cheap. That's my understanding, anyway.

itz frank
09/05/2006, 01:44 AM
Oh. Thats interesting. I was at a chinese restraunt and saw one with lobsters just sitting there and i was like, man, i wonder what the heck runs that thing.

Putawaywet
09/05/2006, 01:50 AM
They're usually self-contained refrigerated units units made specifically for keeping live seafood.

And with animal turnover and live food deliveries coming and going one really wouldn't need to worry about keeping them alive all that long. Probably wouldn't even need to feed them as they wouldn't be in there long enough to worry about things like that.

Brett

Nykademus
09/05/2006, 08:53 AM
I saw a lobster tank in a Super Walmart not long ago.... it disturbed me, they can barely care for the Oscars they keep. Nothing against Oscars because I like them too.. but really.. they are river pigs that if they die, you tried to kill it ( except for the jumpers ).

batguano
09/05/2006, 11:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8080390#post8080390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Putawaywet
They're usually self-contained refrigerated units units made specifically for keeping live seafood.

And with animal turnover and live food deliveries coming and going one really wouldn't need to worry about keeping them alive all that long. Probably wouldn't even need to feed them as they wouldn't be in there long enough to worry about things like that.

Brett

Ditto, this is the deal. They are not kept long, maybe a day or two, before they end up on a plate.

CaptiveMarine
09/05/2006, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8080254#post8080254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by itz frank
Ok. So unless there's a FRESHWATER lobster, which there could be, what do they use to keep their lobsters alive? The tanks are usually barebottom and i can't see much for a return line or anything. Anyone else ever ponder this?

I do the maintenance for several of the local Red Lobser tanks, so I can tell you a little about them.

The lobster tanks they use here are made by MarineLand. They are 100 gallon tanks with about a 20 gallon sump. The sump holds two large bio wheels. There is also a Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer and a chiller.

As for the salt, I use Instant Ocean.

boomsticks
09/07/2006, 11:17 AM
I actually keep a pet Lobster...don't have a name for him yet but he sits in a 55 gal with skimmer and bubbler. Feed him silversides and live sand shrimp when I can catch them! LOL Oh yeah and his best friend the Winter Flounder! .

2fishy
09/07/2006, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8080306#post8080306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by outy
i ponder that there very tasty and i really wonder when i can sit my hiney down and have some more with lots of butter and a filet :)

Mmmm! Now I am hungry!;)

uscgbeachbum
09/07/2006, 11:40 AM
I've been to Spanish Wells (a small island just off of Eleuthera, Bahamas) where Red Lobster gets the majority of its non-"Maine" lobsters. If you've seen the lobster/crabbing industry up close, as far as collection is concerned, I highly doubt you'd want to eat another one. :)

2fishy
09/07/2006, 12:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8096466#post8096466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uscgbeachbum
I've been to Spanish Wells (a small island just off of Eleuthera, Bahamas) where Red Lobster gets the majority of its non-"Maine" lobsters. If you've seen the lobster/crabbing industry up close, as far as collection is concerned, I highly doubt you'd want to eat another one. :)

Don't say ANOTHER word! My arteries LOVE the warm, delicate flavor of the lovely lobster dipped and butter! Please don't ruin it!:D Although I am not sure if I could ever boil a live one though!

batguano
09/07/2006, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8096466#post8096466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uscgbeachbum

I spent some time around lobster boats in one of my many incarnations. Lobster was/is a big industry on Eastern Long Island. Just so long as you don't think about the bait that goes in the pots...well, you can imagine.