PDA

View Full Version : Treating Ick. Questions

ericwebster
09/04/2006, 08:07 AM
This morning I notices several white dots on the scales of the fish.

Looks like now I need to buy and setup a QT tank. A few questions.

-----

1. I have a Rubbermaid bin, about 30 gallons, could I use this instead of buying a 3rd glass tank?

2. Now that I suspect that I have ick -- I'm sure acting quickly can improve my success. But because I need to setup bio filtration a site recommended that I buy a small filter for the new QT tank and that I should soak the filter pads in the sump for a few days to get the nitrification bacteria a time to adhere to the new pads.

I have some phosphate and carbon filter pads in the main tank. They probaly have plenty of the bacteria in them -- could I just use these?

3. Should I just use hyposalinity, or use copper based ick treatment in the QT tank?

4. What about feeding garlic to help combat the parasite? Does this work?

5. I have alot of people coming over my house next Sunday (yey football). I dont' want to have 2 tanks with pipes, tubes , etc. kicking around the living room then. I am planning on beginning my 6 week treatment next Monday (1 week) is this too long to wait?

bertoni
09/05/2006, 01:42 AM
1. The RubberMaid is probably fine.

2. I'd get some regular filter media going, personally.

3. You could try both, but I'd definitely do hyposalinity.

4. There's no evidence that garlic affects ich parasite, although it might encourage the fish to eat, which is good.

5. Hard to say. The fish might die in the meantime, might not. Your call.

ericwebster
09/05/2006, 06:24 AM
I have read online (and been told by several people) that tangs always get ick when stressed.

If he continues to go unstressed and eats his algae (like a good little fishy) he may overcome the ick himself. I watching this situation closely and have gotten a Blue Neon Goby whom may help control the parasite.

I am watching him closely and if he seems to get worse I will QT everybody -- but that will mean dismantling the main tank which I don't want to do.

The cists (i think thats what the white dots are called) have fallen off his body and he has stopped scratching for the most part.

I know this is part of the cycle -- but hoping it does not return.

I'm going to do my best not to stress the tank at all and give them all a fighting chance to avoid the stress (except for the water change which is due)

Does this seem like an awful plan?

ericwebster
09/05/2006, 06:26 AM
I should preface the above post with linking it to the original post.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921197

jjjimmy
09/05/2006, 06:50 AM
The garlic method, although I have read to be unproven has always worked for me.

ericwebster
09/05/2006, 06:53 AM
Do you just mince up fresh garlic and feed with the food?

jjjimmy
09/05/2006, 07:40 AM
I use this...

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=K-GX1&Category_Code=

I just add it to the water when thawing frozen food.

bertoni
09/05/2006, 01:55 PM
Tangs won't get ich if the parasite isn't present. You could see whether the animals develop some immunity to the parasite. If they do, you'll be safe, at least until you try to add new fish. If the new fish don't have any immunity, they might be in trouble.

IMM3DOORSDOWN
09/05/2006, 07:33 PM
mmmmmmm garlic and some pasta you guys are getting me hungry