PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Technolgy Ballast

Nasomike
06/09/2002, 07:23 PM
Whenever the MH ballast start up they make a bunch of noise. Like the fans are grinding. Does anyone else have this problem or just me. They are new so I don't know if this is right. It is a ballast box that controls 3 175 MH. Thanks

Green Chromis
06/09/2002, 07:42 PM
Hi Nasomike, I had the Hamilton ballast, they made the same noise that yours do, I called Hamilton and they told me It was normal as long as it only last for a few seconds after you turn them on.

Nasomike
06/09/2002, 07:45 PM
Cool, Thanks for you reply!

Nasomike
06/10/2002, 03:27 PM
How about smell? Does anyones ballast smell funky?

DJ88©
06/10/2002, 04:46 PM
Mike,

Is it a new ballast? If so there may be some dust, dirt etc that was on the ballasts and what you are smelling is this stuff being burned off. :)

Nasomike
06/10/2002, 07:06 PM
I have had them running since last Thursday. The smell has gotten worse over the weekend. It smells like burning wires. I opened the box and it looked ok. Maybe glue from the ballast. I don't know. I called them they said to wait till the end of the week and see if the smell goes away. Also, How hot should the box be? If I grabbed mine I would burn my hand. Is this normal? I know it should be hot but how hot?

Bob F
06/11/2002, 07:58 AM
Nasomike

Hamilton will tell you anything is normal and the clattering at start seems to be, BUT the smell and heat may not be.

I have a 2 month old Hamilton 2 175, 2 actinic deluxe hood that smoked and smelled and was so hot that I got a cooking thermometer (regular ones don't read high enough) to check how hot the ballast case got. It read over 140 degrees but that was off the meat thermometers high range. I could not keep my hand on it for a full one second. Hamilton said "that's normal" but they would exchange it for me if I insisted. I did, as I was afraid to leave it on when I was out of the house.

My new ballast never goes over 100 degrees and only smelled for a couple of days.

I have used the thermometer to check half a dozen other ballast including another Hamilton and they all are in the 100 degree range. I have also checked several a LFS with my hand and they are are all hot but you can keep your hand on them for several seconds like my new one.

Bob

Nasomike
06/11/2002, 02:51 PM
I did what you did and got out my meat thermometer and checked the box. It read 145 degrees. I think I will return this one. The only thing is, with the new retrofit its going to be a pain to get my old lights back on. I guess its better than coming come with fire trucks in my driveway.

Bob F
06/11/2002, 04:55 PM
Yes is sucks that you have to get yours back to them before they will send out the new unit I just wonder what a guy is supposed to do if he has sold his old unit and has to go without lights for a week or two?

I like my lights but I wonder how many of these HOT PLATES Hamilton sends out. I guess there is no quality control.

Bob

Russ
06/11/2002, 05:07 PM
Fortunately, I avoided this bullet... I suspected the Hamilton ballasts were no good (but I like their reefstar pendants)... So, I contacted them and they sold me just the shell (hammertone reflector w/socket and glass) for 89.95 + shipping. Then, I added a PFO HQI ballast and AB 10K bulbs... I'll let you guys know how it works out, as I'll be putting it together in a few days.

Sucks that you're having this trouble. But man, I nearly took advantage of the $245 special for the 150watt hamilton fixture (w/everything) from custom aquatics. -- Hearing your experience make me glad I didn't.

Awesome reflectors (so I hear), but the ballast leaves much to be desired.