PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Top Off

DrPeaches
09/02/2006, 08:51 PM
I need suggestions for an automatic top off system. There are so many available, I don't know which way to go. I need something I can run from a reservoir since I have no desire to run a water line to my tank. And does anybody here topoff with kalk? My pH drops overnight from 8.2 to 7.9. I don't think that's such a terrible drop, but kalk would cure that little problem.

Guide me, o wise ones.

drowzee
09/03/2006, 08:09 AM
http://www.tunze.com/index.php?id=149&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter036

they are pricey but very good. if you look at the next page of the link they have the reservoir which a calcium dispenser can be attached for dosing. the only problem i had was the optical sensor took a time to adjust. roger and dave recommended to wash it with soap and water and be patient. also micro air bubbles close to the sensor can distract it's normal operation. ramiro

sparks56
09/03/2006, 08:38 AM
i would suggest the liter meter 111 / i have 1 topping off 3 different tanks from 3 dif. resivours . dose kalk 24/7 in 1 of them it is a bit pricey but rock solid, worth every penny IMO :rollface:

just dave
09/04/2006, 03:05 AM
You also have the Reef Doser from AB and the AT-1 from Blueline.

DrPeaches
09/04/2006, 07:31 AM
I'm looking hard at the dosers since I could also automate the delivery of A-B. I need something where I could leave the house for at least a couple of days without finding a tank babysitter. And since I don't have much room left in my cabinet, I'm really limited on options.

just dave
09/04/2006, 07:59 AM
Running a doser to deliver your two part during the night ( have it dose smaller amounts over the course of the night vs one large dose) would solve your pH drop and the AB unit wall mounts and can draw straight from the containers.

I like the AT-1 for top off. No electricity in the sump with this unit as it uses a air pressure switch.

crpeck
09/05/2006, 05:43 PM
How do you do the automatic dosing of the A-B when the B has to be shaken? Don't you get a concentration of what settles the the bottom and have problems with lines clogging from the buildup?

just dave
09/05/2006, 10:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8084261#post8084261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crpeck
Don't you get a concentration of what settles the the bottom and have problems with lines clogging from the buildup?

Nope.

crpeck
09/05/2006, 10:38 PM
Then why ... by the time I get down to the bottom of a bottle of Part B, is it usually full of clumps and crumbs.

Does the B-Ionic product do better without being shaken? I've been using the Kent. I would love to automate dosing.

drowzee
09/05/2006, 10:50 PM
i have a reef doser twin by aquamedic. i dose a and b as well and the only build up i see is at the end of the part b tubing. i just squeeze the end and its clear again.

MarineFlake
09/08/2006, 10:47 PM
Steer clear of the Aqua Medic SP3000. It has big problems which have lead to a couple very *close* calls with regard to overflowing my sump.

aharvey
09/09/2006, 09:23 PM
Doc,
I just got an ATO brand new off reef central for 70 shipped.
I'll let you know how well it works.

DrPeaches
09/10/2006, 08:11 AM
I've read that's a pretty good unit as long as you disable the annoying little beeper that blairs while the tank is filling. It seems that all you have to do is stab it right in the speaker with a straight pin.

aharvey
09/10/2006, 11:52 AM
I like stabbin stuff

aharvey
09/12/2006, 08:23 PM
Doc where is the speaker located on this stupid thing.
It works just as advertised but the beeper is getting annoying real quick.
You can't see it from the front panel, but I'll find it and when I do.....

aharvey
09/12/2006, 09:09 PM
Found my own answer
http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/ATO_faq_ht_spkr.pdf

DrPeaches
09/12/2006, 09:11 PM
I haven't ever seen it, but somewhere I saw that it's just a small plastic cylinder with a hole in the middle. Just insert a pin in the hole and stab it right in the voicebox. (just make sure it's a speaker and not a capacitor)

They might also have a schematic on the company's Web site.

aharvey
09/12/2006, 09:19 PM
The web site says to just break it off the circuit board.
Seems drastic.
I think I might try and silence it without destroying it then if I ever want it to make noise again I don't have to solder

neuroslicer
09/12/2006, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8074214#post8074214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrPeaches
I need something where I could leave the house for at least a couple of days without finding a tank babysitter. And since I don't have much room left in my cabinet, I'm really limited on options.

I guess we need to set up a tank babysitting cooperative! When someone goes away for a couple days another club member tanksits! And then has someone sit in for him/her when they're away! And who said this was a tankless job!

But you guys would drink my booze!

"I put the vodka in the tank, man.... I read about it on Reef Central"..... yeah, right!:bum:

just dave
09/12/2006, 11:11 PM
Gott sei Dank Kermit's Reff akzeptieren Kreditkarten!

I thank Him that online vendors except yours so readily.

I'm trying to find its limits.

crpeck
09/12/2006, 11:15 PM
I think the tank sit co-op is an excellent idea.

I don't drink Vodka ... but a nice glass of wine would be appreciated.

I cringe every time I leave the tank to my husband... he has me convinced he messes things up on purpose so I won't get too comfortable leaving him in charge.

My son managed to keep everything alive for 2 weeks last summer.

DrPeaches
09/13/2006, 11:27 AM
I keep expecting to get a call from Visa wondering if someone has stolen my card. I'm sure they believe no one could spend so much as the reef shop.

The idea of a tank-sitting cooperative, I think, is a good one. It's easy to train someone to top-off the sump, feed the fish, and maybe empty the skimmer cup, but I would still worry that something would happen that would require just a bit more expertise to correct.

My first weekend trip away from my tank rolls around in about a month. I have no worries my wife can handle the routine daily chores, but what if.....??? Maybe we need to start such a tanksitter list. We could even break it down into boozehound and teetotaler sections in concern for liquor cabinet security.

just dave
09/13/2006, 09:26 PM
Sounds good but you know you'd need a comprehensive photo journal of the tank to compare before and after.

"Blue zoanthids? I don't what you are talking about. Are you sure they were there before you left?"

Reefdiver77
09/13/2006, 10:47 PM
I was very apprehensive about leaving my tanks for 2 week vacations this summer and last. I was able to hire club members to come to my home daily. I live way out in the boonies and the power goes out often. Peace of mind-VISA-no Colin or Evan. It was worth every penny. I did leave very explicit directions both times and had all my water mixed, etc. Also, little helpful pointers about my equipment and its' quirks. Of course, they had to feed my dog and cat and water my flowers too.

just dave
09/14/2006, 09:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8136685#post8136685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrPeaches
I keep expecting to get a call from Visa wondering if someone has stolen my card. I'm sure they believe no one could spend so much as the reef shop.

You'll be fine. We are registered with the CC service companies as a gentleman's club.

DrPeaches
09/14/2006, 10:04 AM
My wife tell her friends that if I don't answer my cell phone she knows I'm at Kermit's. She also tells them "at least I know he's not at Platinum."

Now with the secret of the CC service companies out, I guess I can spend time at both places and she won't be the wiser.

scarson61
09/14/2006, 03:38 PM
I was looking at not spending too much money on a top off and found this http://www.topdose.net/ he sells on eBay so you might find a good deal on one. I have been very happy with mine.
Sanford