PDA

View Full Version : cause for concern

derick75
09/02/2006, 03:52 PM
Ive had my 75 AGA for about 9 months and I noticed the glass in the front left corner of the tank is protruding out about 1/8th inch. i dont know if it came like this new or not but it has been bothering me for some time. My wood floors are terribly out of balance and i had to shim one side over 2inches higher then the others. When i checked the level of the tank today i noticed the side that was protruding was off very slightly..is this somethin gI need to correct? Or could the glass be slightly out of whack from the factory?

Sk8r
09/02/2006, 03:55 PM
I'd worry. It may require releveling, which means draining the tank and emptying rock, which means at least a very small cycle. The longer that persists, the more chance it will give way catastrophically. THat's my opinion. I'd wait for others.

75reef
09/02/2006, 09:23 PM
I'd fix it.
RIGHT NOW!
Glass is not very forgiving, and silicone has no shear strength.

all-apologies
09/02/2006, 11:08 PM
Same, get to it before worrying is the least of your problems.

good luck

tripstank
09/03/2006, 01:43 AM
I would say some pics will help too.

DeLiBoY
09/03/2006, 01:48 AM
This sounds bad........very.......VERY bad!!

derick75
09/03/2006, 06:09 AM
thats what i thought, i bought a 4 foot level and it is 1/8th inch off over a 4 foot span on the left side all other sides are dead nuts. I dont think that is bad. When the water is drained you cant see a difference. I will drain the tank again, just did it a month ago to cure valonia. There must be people out there whos tank is off more then a 8th of a inch why do i get all the crap luck:(

verper
09/03/2006, 09:08 AM
Can't you just lift the corner of the stand with the aquarium full? Use a large pry bar with some wood boards for protection of your wood floor and the stand. Might need a second person to slide a plastic shim or two under the left corner of the stand as you elevate the stand. I'd do it right away as the others have said.

tripstank
09/03/2006, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't have bought a AGA. They are notorious for flaws. I have Oceanic and is off 1/8 over 3 ft and have not had a single bit of problems. I shimmed up the stand to level the stand. I would rather have a stand failure than a tank failure.