PDA

View Full Version : + My First Coral Purchase

Ethics
08/31/2006, 10:08 PM
So the time has finally come, the tnak has been up for 3 weeks and everything is very stable.

The tank is a 5 gallon nano and I'm ready to purchase my first coral but would like some opinions first.

I alreayd have a cleanup crew in tact.

What should I look for when I go to the store to purchase my first coral.

If there's any othe rinfo someone could give a first time buyer I would really appreciate it.

Also at my local Big Als I noticed 90% of the corals are priced at $100 to $120, why would they be so expensive? and is this the price I'm looking at paying at any location that sells corals?

Thanks,
MArio

t5Nitro
08/31/2006, 10:12 PM
Well, the people at the fish store I go to said another month to 2 months and my tank is also 3 weeks old. I think their corals are from 40-60 dollars maybe?

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 10:17 PM
those corals that are 100 are either rare or...rare lol

you can always get little ones for like 10 bucks..idk if lfs's have them that cheap, but locals can sell you frags cheap.

but when you look for corals, just make sure that they're not wilted or anything like that, and that their color is good, stuff like that.

what type of corals do you want?

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 10:19 PM
if your tank is table and everything theres not really any reason to wait 2 months imo.

but forgot to add...if you're getting stuff like xenia and softies you could proly get them for like 30 or so...just depends on how big it is mostly

Ethics
08/31/2006, 10:23 PM
Thank you guys. I will look for someone local to purchase rags from, if no one is found I'll go check the prices at various big als.

If anyone has anymore info I'd love to hear it.

Mario

MJAnderson
08/31/2006, 10:29 PM
I would consider waiting a bit as well. With a 5g nano I'm sure maintenance is a huge part of stability and are you confident you have dosing/water changes/testing all down pat yet?

Mine's been up 2 month and the only think in these besides clean up crew is a tiny toadstool that someone gave me. It's the size of a pencil eraser ---but extends and growing well!

serpentman
08/31/2006, 10:37 PM
Dude, I personally would hold off a little. To me, a nano is 10x harder to keep than a huge tank. To second MJ, I would be 100% certain your nano is dialed in. One key element with a tank that small is how you plan to top off as a day's evaporation could throw your specific gravity off the charts.

BurntOutReefer
08/31/2006, 11:29 PM
5G is extremely hard to keep stable....albeit...for a shroom tank...its excellent...I would wait.....

Ethics
08/31/2006, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, for the past 3 weeks I've been topping off by hand, everyday before I go to bed. It seems to keep everyhting in check.

And I do a water change every sunday.

Maybe I won't purchase my corla just yet, but I will sleep on it and go look tommorow.

MArio