PDA

View Full Version : 400 Watt Blueline E-Ballast Retro - NEW!

sfauth
08/31/2006, 09:19 PM
Well I bought these and quickly realized it is way too much light for my 75 so I am selling them. Would also consider a trade for 250 watt lighting (dual retro or 2 pendants) plus cash or sps corals.

I have 2 400 watt blueline e-ballast retro kits with brand new (still in box) blueline 14k 400 watt bulbs.

Ballast have about a month of use on them.

$235 each - shipped or $220 each picked up.

http://www.championlighting.com/pro...15&cat=0&page=1

http://www.championlighting.com/pro...&cat=555&page=1

spankey
09/01/2006, 08:13 AM
Steve, that lighting wattage is perfect for your tank. I have a buddy that light a 37 gallon with just one 400watt and it looked intense. Plus his SPS doubled every two months. If you run them both they will give you the 10watts per gallon. Even though alot of people don't use this to obtain perfect lighting conditions.

I think you will be very happy with these lights once they burn in. I would just put some egg crate over the tank once you hook them up to shadow most of the light and then slowly remove it with less light cycles.

But again, I think that tank would look great with the two 400 watts over it.

Sal.

sfauth
09/01/2006, 08:27 AM
hm, It is a tough decision because my favorite corals are at the top of the tank only a few inches from the surface and I dont want to burn them.

I will try with the egg crate and see what happens.Thanks Sal!

regards,
STeve

Big Boy69
09/01/2006, 10:33 AM
Dude, keep the 400's on there and move the corals lower in your tank.

organism
09/01/2006, 11:09 AM
if you put 20k's on there they'll work out well, the stuff on the top of the tank should be fine, 14k might burn the top layer though...

spankey
09/01/2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah Steve, I forgot to mention that. My buddy ran 20k's not 14. The 14's are a tad more intense vs the 20's. And he still had great growth with the 20k's

I really think you will not have any issues using the lights you ordered. I would run them about 6 inches off the surface or inside your new hood. I don't think if you sell the 14k's and opt for 20's you will be pleased with the look and the growth from the 400's.

My buddies tank was a 37 high and it was 3 foot wide. The 400 was centered over the tank and he had some shadowing on the ends for his lower light corals such as zoo's and lps. His SPS were located more in the center.

Give it a shot and then see if you want to ditch them. I just can't see after you spent the money for them, try em. Nothing to loose right.

Good luck.
Sal.