PDA

View Full Version : tank not level

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 12:46 AM
i've been running my 40 breeder for about 5 years freshwater and never really noticed if it was level or not...anyways when i took it down to convert to salt i moved the stand a little bit to the side of where it was...so i'm guessing the floor was just different right there or something

anyways, its kinda leaning forward (at least i think so cuz the water level's higher in the front than back) and kinda to the right...Is it possible to put like a wood block or something under the stand just to raise it a little bit? I'm talkin maybe a half inch at max, so its not much. If so, can i do that w/out taking it all apart? Its up and running right now w/water, sand and lr in there, and a 20 gal sump in the stand....Or would i be better off just emptying it say halfway or something but save the water? It was a pretty dumb mistake on my part...didnt see if it was level beforehand :(

thanks
mike

reefnetworth
08/31/2006, 05:14 AM
at Lowes or HD in the lumber section they sell shims for leveling doors and windows. they are wedge shaped and work perfect if installed correctly. you will need a bubble level/carpenters level. i can explain how to install, its easier and less time consuming for someone to show you. an uneven tank puts stress on the tanks seals, and can cause it to break. good luck & REEF-ON!

Trigeek
08/31/2006, 05:59 AM
Is it as easy as hammering the shims under the lower end of the tank stand until the tank comes level? I'm encountering a similar problem with my new 90g, it's slightly unlevel and would like to correct it before I fill it this weekend.

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 08:26 AM
So i can just take these wedges and hammer them under? Dont have to worry bout anything? Is there anything else with that that i would need to watch out for?

thanks for the replies

comfort_racing
08/31/2006, 10:29 AM
hey dudeguy. i had the same problem and yes i went to lowes and bought the shims (super cheap!!) and it works great. the only thing i recommend is to even the weight distribution by putting them all the way across. i do recomend taking the water out though. makes life alot easier because the shims will possible break being hammered in under all that weight....too much resistence.

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 02:22 PM
ya figures. So would it be ok to do it w/about half water? i'm gonna look and see how many rubbermaids we got layin around the house lol, but i dont think i've got enough for 40 gallons of water. I'm just gonna leave the sand in tho...thats not heavy.

TekCat
08/31/2006, 02:29 PM
Not to steal the thread, but I have similar question. After the tank is leveled by the way of using shims under the stand, how would one level sump that is in the stand? Shims under the sump? (my sump is 30 L )

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 02:39 PM
ya prolly do just the same thing for that too i'd think. In my case i got "lucky" (actually unlucky that its not level) that they're both the same..the sump is leaning the same exact way as the tank, so hopefully its gonna work.

so they've got these at hoe depot? where at in the store?

TekCat
08/31/2006, 03:37 PM
hoe depot? LOL

Yes, they got them there, also in Lowes, actually any hardware store that deals doors and/or windows.

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 04:20 PM
hoe depot? LOL

OOOPS!!!!! lol typo, i swear lol. altho my uncle is the head manager at lowes so our whole family's got a "thing" against HOME depot...but i still go there more than lowes (closer lol)

so if i ask them if they've got "shims" they'll know what i'm talkin about? cuz i dont know what a shim is lol. I know its a wedge shaped piece of wood and thats about it.

and would i just get all the same sized shimms?

ducati1212
08/31/2006, 04:56 PM
my 29 gal was real un-level. After shimming it is kinda level. Worse front to back then side to side. I just live with it and hope for the best

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 05:43 PM
ya i would too, but the water level is like, right up to the tip of the tank lol.

actually i just thought of something...i can move the overflow part (the part w/the teeth up and down so should i try moving it down and taking a little water out to lower the water level in the tank?

Tobman
08/31/2006, 06:20 PM
I recommend getting shims made out of a plastic or some kind of composite material or at least sealing the wooden ones with polyeurathane (sp?). If you spill water and get the shims wet, the wood will expand and take your tank out of level.

sir_dudeguy
08/31/2006, 06:30 PM
good idea, thanks