PDA

View Full Version : Help identify me please

Donstuprich
08/30/2006, 05:39 PM
I have a big feather that is attatched to some stony coral. I didn't think the stony coral would have survived, or had survived, but it came attached.

Now the coral is eminating some strings from along side the edges of it. The are about an inch to an inch and a half in length. About the thickness of a needle. Are translucent with a white tip. There are about fifty blowing in the current off the piece. Will try to upload a pic.

Any idea

Donstuprich
08/30/2006, 05:42 PM
Blurry pic, but you can make it out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/djneedles/IMG_2257.jpg

Donstuprich
08/31/2006, 07:32 AM
no one has a theory

MDP
08/31/2006, 07:36 AM
I'd go with either sweeper tentacles (any other corals in close proximity?) or if you have recently fed your tank, these could be a reacting to food in the water.

That looks like a small Kika coral (sorry, no idea wht it is in English, just see a fair few around here). I think they produce sweepers.

Matt

matt

fdokinawa
08/31/2006, 09:31 AM
I think its a film that a lot of corals put out.. its fine.. they all do it.

Donstuprich
08/31/2006, 05:24 PM
I hope it won't harm anything. There is nothing close enough to that feather for anything to get stung if those are sweepers. thanks for the input. Has me worried.

fdokinawa
08/31/2006, 08:04 PM
dont think stony corals have sweepers...

Sk8r
08/31/2006, 08:20 PM
Stony corals do have sweepers, but they can only go down-current, most for an inch or so. Champions are galaxia and bubble, which can manage 5 inches and more. Just watch what's downstream of them and you're fine. I find them far safer to position than softie corals, who breathe into the water in general; sweepers, you can at least see!
Neat specimen. I hope it makes it. Your duster will like phyto, and if that's a coral, it will probably like cyclopeeze.