PDA

View Full Version : DIY or retrofit MH

heatdissipation
08/30/2006, 05:20 PM
I am trying to figure out if I should just suck it up and spend the $1000 bucks and get a retrofit, or try a DIY. I want 3 250 watt 10000k MH, and 4 36 pc actinics.

https://www82.safesecureweb.com/webaquatics/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CL53530&Category_Code=CAP2HL

I found this one, but 1300, damn, can anyone please help me to make up my mind. I am driving my wife crazy with indecisions in starting this tank.

Charlie Davidson
08/30/2006, 05:28 PM
IMHO,, Again IMHO-- Stop bugging your wife :)

Seriously, do you have any reefclubs in the area? good LFS?

heatdissipation
08/30/2006, 05:30 PM
not really since we moved, I just moved to Williamsport PA from philly. LFS, havent found a good one around here yet.

j_gilbert
08/30/2006, 05:33 PM
I made my own for about half that price. I would spend that kind of money on that.

Charlie Davidson
08/30/2006, 05:41 PM
Wait a while! Find some locals! I know there are some :) Search the reef club forums! do alot of reading here on RC! then spend the money.. If its eating a hole in your pocket-- buy something cheap or used, that you can resell (normallly 1/2 what you paid new) untill you see what you what!
You looking at a SPS tank?

Charlie Davidson
08/30/2006, 05:48 PM
Also--- do yourself a big favor!!! Buy a "good" skimmer! (first) By that, I mean the best your buget can do! buy a poor to mid-line skimmer and the best lighting can't do squat to keep corals!

heatdissipation
08/30/2006, 05:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8045906#post8045906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by j_gilbert
I made my own for about half that price. I would spend that kind of money on that.
you would spend that much, or wouldnt?

I have been searching and researching for 2yrs on this tank, waiting till we moved before I turned it into a reef tank. I am getting impatient...lol, but really want to get some of this done, I still have to build my sump and fuge, buy a new skimmer, and get lights, then I will be ready to fill it up.

heatdissipation
08/30/2006, 05:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8046025#post8046025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Charlie Davidson
Also--- do yourself a big favor!!! Buy a "good" skimmer! (first) By that, I mean the best your buget can do! buy a poor to mid-line skimmer and the best lighting can't do squat to keep corals!

I bought a skimmer from a lfs in Philly, they said it was a great skimmer, but after researching it after I bought it, (I know, should have done it the other way around) I found out it really isnt all that good of a skimmer.

I have to get the lighting now, as my wife is willing to gve me a good chunk of money now to buy lighting, if I buy a skimmer now and not the lighting, then later she might not give me the same budget as she is now.

And I wear the pants around this house when she isnt here.....:rollface:

Charlie Davidson
08/30/2006, 06:00 PM
Don't buy it! he gave good info! But--- please don't go off of just one persons... you have only 30 posts here on RC.. spend a week reading/ asking questions--- you will not be sorry!!!
Sorry j_gilbert you are proably "OK"--- But IMHO, Mr Welder---do not give much "weight" to those that will not give info on themselves (location, occupation)

Charlie Davidson
08/30/2006, 06:02 PM
:eek: I am a slow typer! don't buy the lights!

jgarrison
08/30/2006, 06:03 PM
Build your own but take your time don't rush because you will make mistakes.

mg426
08/30/2006, 06:28 PM
Have you tried looking here yet?? WWW.hellolights.com

heatdissipation
08/30/2006, 07:11 PM
I am not going to buy it tonight...just trying to figure out what I want to do.... I have looked on hellolights, and know what I need to do to build one, but just wondering maybe thinking aloud that just spending the money and buying the whole setup would be one less thing I have to do to finally get my tank going.

The only thing I am having trouble with on building one is the reflector, I can make one at work, but should I use polished aluminum, or 12 gauge steel with a good coat of white paint over it, does white really reflect as good as I have read?