PDA

View Full Version : need urgent help with black percula

fish are life
08/29/2006, 11:55 PM
i baught one and was doing awsome when all of a sudden he is hiding all the time and has a gray slime looking thing on his skin, he also hasnt eaten since this occured.

redvipe2010
08/30/2006, 12:03 AM
not sure what it is, but do you have him in quarantine yet? Do you have a pic? is it like a parasite?

fish are life
08/30/2006, 12:13 AM
no i dont have a QT tank set up, i havnt has the need for it yet. and no my scanner is down i couldnt get pick up, i believe it is a parasite, at first i thought he was stressed and lost his color but no i see the black is hiding under the gray and he is still swimming around but hiding and not eating.

redvipe2010
08/30/2006, 12:16 AM
Ok, I've never tried this before, but I've read many times to do a fresh water dip. Match the PH and the temp, and in a few minutes it should come off.

redvipe2010
08/30/2006, 12:16 AM
Oh, make sure there is no chlorine in the water too. Are you using tap water, RO/DI, or RO?

fish are life
08/30/2006, 12:22 AM
well i do fresh water dips at my work regularly, sometimes it works sometimes is kills the fish, i do treat the water first and leave them in for about 5-7 mins, gosh if i do i have about 200lbs of lr to get out.

redvipe2010
08/30/2006, 12:34 AM
I don't know what else to do. Maybe someone else will chime in. I strongly suggest getting a quarantine tank. 10 gallon is all you need, and it's well worth it.

fish are life
08/30/2006, 12:47 AM
ya i know i have a 20 lying around but now i dont have the $ to set it up

Ooulophilia
08/30/2006, 01:03 AM
it has brookanella, fairly common (known as clownfish disease). Fairly hard to treat if this advanced, but I would recommend a series of formalin dips (there is a thread bookmarked on the fish diseases forum, check it out).
FW dips end up being detrimental on clowns with brook.

Steven Pro
08/30/2006, 06:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8041467#post8041467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ooulophilia
it has brookanella, fairly common (known as clownfish disease). Fairly hard to treat if this advanced, but I would recommend a series of formalin dips (there is a thread bookmarked on the fish diseases forum, check it out).
FW dips end up being detrimental on clowns with brook. I agree. This is more than likely a Brooklynella infestation. I would treat it with formalin baths. See here for more information
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/brooklynella.html

redvipe2010
08/30/2006, 11:03 PM
I went back and read the section on freshwater dips in the book Clownfishes, by Joyce Wilkerson, it says that fresh water dips can be used for Brooklynella. It also says that Formalin can be used. So is the freshwater dips for Brooklynella out dated information now? Or are you saying that it is too far advanced for freshwater dips at this point? If it's out dated information, I'd like to make a note in this book. Thanks!

redvipe2010
08/30/2006, 11:03 PM
I went back and read the section on freshwater dips in the book Clownfishes, by Joyce Wilkerson, it says that fresh water dips can be used for Brooklynella. It also says that Formalin can be used. So is the freshwater dips for Brooklynella out dated information now? Or are you saying that it is too far advanced for freshwater dips at this point? If it's out dated information, I'd like to make a note in this book. Thanks!

Steven Pro
08/31/2006, 05:24 AM
Formalin baths are the better of the two treatments for this ailment.