PDA

View Full Version : Removing Yello Tang HELP

Jacksonbriggs
08/29/2006, 11:38 PM
I really need to get rid of my yellow tang. He just ate my second cleaner shrimp and is chasing all my other fish around the tank. Wayyyy to aggresive for my tank. As I am sure you know he is not a big fan of nets. Any ideas on how I can get it out without taking all my rocks out of the tank?
Thanks

VINH_XUAN
08/30/2006, 12:05 AM
:p I had the same problem like you, took me a whole week of trying different way and frustration. What I did was put some of his favorite food in a clear plastic bottle along with a pieces of rock heavy enough to keep the bottle summersed. The bottle is deep enough (5-7 inches), the top is wide enough (same as the depth), let him hungry for a day, put the bottle in the tank with the top up, soon he gets inside put the cap over the top. He actually gets nervous , try to find his way out so you have enough time to lock him in. Everything happened within 1 min or so since I put the bottle in the tank.
Good luck

xtm
08/30/2006, 01:38 AM
Zebrasomas are probably the easiest fish to catch...ever. 1. is because they are not that fast. They are strong swimmers but definitely not as quick as say, a Damsel. 2. They are somewhat bulky and 3. I think they are dumb compared to Damsels.

I use Ultralife's "THE TRAP".
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_miscellaneous_fish_trap.asp?CartId=

I tie a piece of Nori or seaweed selects algae on a piece of rock and drop it inside THE TRAP. It will only take about 5 mins for the Tang to become comfortable in THE TRAP. When he gets in, just shut the door and scoop it out.

Have Fun :D

sidd129
08/30/2006, 01:45 AM
If you do end up using a net as a last resort, try it in the middle of the night.

Jacksonbriggs
08/30/2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm ordering one right now. Sure gotta remember not to get another one of these unless I get a bigger tank or an aggressive tank.

jda
08/30/2006, 02:48 PM
I use one of those traps too (or very close to it anyway). It sometimes takes a while for the fish to go in there, but they almost always do. I only feed the fish in the trap. Mysis gets them in there pretty fast too.

Jacksonbriggs
09/01/2006, 09:59 PM
Wooo Hooo success. I used the trap and caught the fish within 1 1/2 hours. Not the best built thing in the world but it did the job. Thanks for the help. :)