PDA

View Full Version : New tank set up questions

zebrafish
08/29/2006, 09:01 PM
I am in the beginning stages of planning a new tank set up for me, but probably with the technology everyone else is presently using. I want to go with a sump that has a refugia with an area to place a skimmer in. Seeing the sump that Barrett had made at the last meeting, really helped. I have been doing some reading from The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3 by Delbeek and Sprung and have gotten a good deal of information from that. Books are great in telling you how things work but really do not suggest particular equipment manufactures. So my first question is “What is a good manufacture for sump pumps?” I want to keep it as quite as possible.
Second “What is a good skimmer to use? Currently I am using a Seaclone, which I know wont work in the sump. I have heard people talking about AquaC’s.
Any help and suggestions on these points or the entire set up would be appreciated. I would prefer to lean from others on this tank then to lean by my own mistakes, once again.
:confused:

aharvey
08/29/2006, 09:54 PM
Make your own sump just like you want it.
There are several of us that can assist if you need it.
You'll save money and get exactly what you want.

Skimmers are like cars everybody has a favorite.
I like my ASM?
What size tank?
Have you heard about the drygoods garage sale?
You might find a sump and skimmer there.
If you do remember that I hooked you up!

zebrafish
08/29/2006, 10:06 PM
[i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8040402#post8040402 target=_blank>Originally Skimmers are like cars everybody has a favorite.
I like my ASM?
What size tank?
Have you heard about the drygoods garage sale?
You might find a sump and skimmer there.
If you do remember that I hooked you up! [/B]

The tank is a 75 gal.

I have heard about the dry goods sale, and hopefully some things that I would be in market for are remaining by the time I get out that way. Kid’s soccer has started and that will take up some time on Saturday.

I will remember that you hooked me up. You have helped me out a couple of times already, especially Sunday with the experience of tearing down that 225.

joeycadre
08/29/2006, 10:14 PM
marine depot has euroreef cs-80's on sale for $198 with free shipping. i love the one i got. great skimmer.
and making your own sump is easy and much more affordable than buying one.

drowzee
08/29/2006, 10:43 PM
i say let the expert make u the sump e.g. barrett. he has the acrylic and the tools to make it. just give him the measurement and what kind you want and if he has time it is affordable and well made. if you like DIY go for it. as far as skimmers i have a g1x and g1 on a 50 and 55 and i like them. i have heard and read that octupus skimmers are good and cheap. good luck.

willember
08/30/2006, 04:20 PM
I have an ASM g-2 on my 90 and think it does a good job. I have a 20G glass aquarium as my sump. Also under my stand is a 10G glass aquarium that holds RO water for the autotop off (I highly recomend some method of keeping your salinity stable). there is also a small 'refugium' that sits above the topoff reservoir. (its in quotes because its function is to grow cheato for nutrient export, not really a true refugium perse, but I guess maybe it is for copepods and amphipods) A custom made acrylic could probably accomplish all those things while taking of less space, but it works for me.
My return pump is a Gen-x GX (i forget the rating) but I have it restricted on the intake side to reduce flow. Make sure you get a pump that is correctly matched to your overflow. I should have gotten a lower flow model.