PDA

View Full Version : question about drilling oceanic cubes

BryanBusza
08/27/2006, 10:41 PM
Are the sides of the oceanic 30gal cubes tempered?

Has anyone drilled them succesfully before??

Thanks

cmondo
08/28/2006, 09:43 AM
I am almost positive that they aren't tempered. And on a side note, if the tank is new drilling holes yourself might void the warranty on it so just watch out for that.

gpodio
08/28/2006, 02:00 PM
I have an Oceanic stretch hex, when I called Oceanic to inquire about tempering, I was informed that all tanks manufactured Feb2005 (need to check that date to be 100% sure) and on were tempered all round (and under). This was a new manufacturing change Oceanic had just implemented to keep glass thickness and weight down. I therefore did not drill it. You can see the manufacturing date under the lip of the top brace.

Do let us know if you drill it, if it works, I may try mine too as I hate the overflow I have.

Oceanic did mention that I can order a drilled one directly from them at pretty much the same cost as retail. I wish I knew that before buying it...

Hope that helps

BryanBusza
08/28/2006, 08:32 PM
gpodio,

I think I am going to take your word on it, and not touch it with a drill.. unless anyone has a differant experience.

Thanks Everyone.

Bry

gpodio
08/29/2006, 06:46 AM
I wish there was an easy, risk free way to test the glass...

Marshall
08/31/2006, 08:16 PM
There is... look at the glass with polarized sun glasses. If you can see the checkerboard, it is probably tempered. Tempering glass leaves residual stress in the glass which results in the glass being slightly polarized. Your car windshield is tempered glass, they should look similar if it is tempered. The bottom is almost certainly tempered so if the other sides look different that is another way to tell.

:uzi: No warranty or guarantee... don't try this at home kids! :uzi: