PDA

View Full Version : Best water? Fishy only or reef w/ fish?

Finding_nemo1
08/24/2006, 03:26 PM
It's my very first fish tank although I had a fish bowl before like 8 yrs. ago.

Anyways, as a very new person in this hobby I'd like to get suggestions whether I should have fishes only or with reef?
I like the idea of having both (coz it's soo pretty) but after talking to some people I'm leaning towards fish only. I want to try salt water tank but with my knowledge, time and $$$ I don't know if I can afford the equipments in the upkeep of a reef tank.
Is it true that if I go fishes only, I don't need to get live rocks anymore? Is it hard to transform a fish only to reef tank?

Raibaru
08/24/2006, 03:28 PM
I am also new to all of this and just recently made my first few equiptment purchases. What I would suggest is for you to setup a Fish Only tank with Live Rock. Live Rock will help with filtration and will give you the ability to upgrade to a reef down the road if you want with only needing to invest in a better light really.

Finding_nemo1
08/24/2006, 03:30 PM
Ohh also I forgot.... what's the best water to start with?
Can I start with tap water, dechlorinate it and just mix it with salt?
Should I buy reverse osmosis water from sparkletts and have it delivered?
Should I buy salt water from LFS?
Should I buy a filter ?
Should I buy a RO/DI?

What's the most cost effective way to do this?
FYI: I live on the 2nd floor (2 flts of stairs).
The water in my faucet seems to have a lot of minerals ....I can see water stains (white deposit) on washed glasses

GlobaLPimP
08/24/2006, 03:30 PM
If you're on a tight budget I'd go for FO and see if you're into maintaining that set-up first. Reef is a LOT more work and a LOT more money. I had a FO set-up for about 5 years and it cost me more than $1000 to convert it to reef. I'm happy I did it but I've already spent about another $500 stocking it with fish and corals and odds and ends. Seems like there is always something you need to buy and good luck getting out of your LFS for under $50 every time you walk in there:)

BurntOutReefer
08/24/2006, 03:31 PM
nemo...sent PM

GlobaLPimP
08/24/2006, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8005336#post8005336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Finding_nemo1
Ohh also I forgot.... what's the best water to start with?
Can I start with tap water, dechlorinate it and just mix it with salt?
Should I buy reverse osmosis water from sparkletts and have it delivered?
Should I buy salt water from LFS?
Should I buy a filter ?
Should I buy a RO/DI?

What's the most cost effective way to do this?
FYI: I live on the 2nd floor (2 flts of stairs).
The water in my faucet seems to have a lot of minerals ....I can see water stains (white deposit) on washed glasses

RO/DI is best for all set-ups; and it is a MUST for REEF.