PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clown Behavior

jeffmdavis
08/23/2006, 08:43 PM
I have a Maroon Clown that I have had for about 9 months now. Its the only one I have so i am assuming it is a SHE. I have noticed a behavior that has started and I want to get some opinions about. She is basically digging a hole in the back of my aquarium. She picks up rocks in her mouth and drops it up front. My assumption is this is a nesting behavior, but am not sure. I would be interested to get others opinions or if they have had the same thing happen.

Jeff

jtemple42000
08/23/2006, 08:46 PM
I have a mated pair of yellow stripe maroons. They have both been doing this lately. I am under the same assumption as you are.

heckaman
08/23/2006, 08:52 PM
Yes, my pair of maroon clown are doing the exact thing you have described. I was told they try to find or fix a place that is a smooth, level ground to "nest" or find a spot to lay their eggs. My clown has done this so much recently, she has literally rearranged my tank. I went out and bought a square clay tile and layed it on bottom substrate. Either she is still in shock, or she has stopped. we'll wait and see...

vessxpress1
08/23/2006, 08:59 PM
Mine does the same and it's in the tank by itself now. Only I think it doesn't want anything near my BTA. It moves subtrate around with it's tail a lot. Will move frags and knock down xenia to get them away too. It also picks up pieces of the substrate and spits them out.

Octopus vulgaris
08/24/2006, 07:21 AM
Yes i have heard of the same thing

1jared1
08/24/2006, 09:49 AM
I use to have a mated pair of gold striped maroons, and the female use to do this all the time. Within a few months of her starting this behavior the happy couple where spawning. Hopefully this is what is going on in your case.

TOURKID
08/24/2006, 02:08 PM
I dont think it has anything to do with nesting.
Mine was doing it when it was single and still does now that she has a boyfriend.

I DO beileve she doesent like anything around the anemone.

She dug a hole around the nem until she reached bare bottom.

She picks up frags and spits them across the tank, rocks, hermits, anything she doesent like near her home.

I read that maroons are the biggest 'cleaners' and like theyre home a certain way.

When they spit the gravel AT you.. they are trying to scare you off.
Thats what I read... but either way its a BIG maroon trait