PDA

View Full Version : Strange breeding idea.....

pbft_90
11/09/2000, 02:43 PM
im sure you probibly dont get a lot of questions on breeding nudibranch's so im thinking this one is strange......im going to get a pair of blue velvet nudibranch's(reef safe :D ) and attempt to breed them. being somewhat new to the game i am looking for some guidance on which way to set this tank up. its going to be a 20gallon tank. i will have some fish in it nothing that will eat these guys ill probably just have damsels and clowns. mainly what i am wondering is... do they like caves in which to go in or do they like to have some kind of lr. placement? obviously it will be difficult to tell seeing as it s a slug but if you can think of something useful i'd love to hear it. im going to try and start getting some worms cultured for them. If you think of another bright nudibranch which is reef safe and easier to breed let me know. i mainly picked the blue velvet because of its looks.
Thanks for your help
pbft_90

Tactstat
11/09/2000, 03:03 PM
Hi, I actually talked with Dr. Ron about this.

The nudi you are probably talking about is C. Varens, it will only eat small flatworms. You will need a very very large supply of them to keep 2 adults and babies happy.

Other good nudis are Berghis, and Cripita(sp?) (the hair algea nudi) all of which need large supplies of food. These are the only easly accessable nudis with identified diets.

A tank for nudis really has to have no fish what so ever, a) a fish, even a damsel, may decide to go for a bite, and even if it doesn't kill the nudi, it may cuase an infection that does, and that will kill the tank b) see above <grin>

The tank I was planing on would have no fish, but inverts, as nudi toxins are pretty much fish spefic (shouldn't harm inverts, we hope) Snails, shrimp, brittle stars etc.

NO POWERHEADS! only things like airstones/aircurtains should be used for circulation. Any powerhead no matter how well sheilded could suck up a nudi and dice it, nuking the tank.

a good sand bed to help supply the microfauna that will check algea in check, with rocks placed as you will, the nudis will find the hiding spots. (caves are a good idea)

Thats all that comes to mind, but ask away if you have questions!

-Tac

Tactstat
11/09/2000, 03:09 PM
Hi Nathan,

> I would like to set up a species tank just for them.
> So far there seem to be 4 choices Berghia V., C.
> Varians, T. Crispata, and Hermissenda crassicornis. I
> would like to start with Varians, becuase I can
> readily order them for a bit less than Berghias, and
> becuase flatworms take less time to breed. (A aptasia
> culture will be started soon, and given a couple of
> months to grow)

Well, I think you could do this, but keep in mind Hermissenda
(=Phidiana)
crassicornis is a temperate or boreal species.

> Is this just a crazy idea that shouldn't be pursed, or
> would it be possible to keep a pair of Varians in a
> airlift circulated(ie no powerheads) tank, and feed
> them flatworms from a seperate culture?

Yeah, I think this could work pretty well.

> This does lead to other questions. Amount of flatworms, Best
flatworms,
or should it be a variety?

Not a clue. You are on your own here. Could be a neat study.

> Ideal amout of space (tank size)

Start small. That way you can control variables easier.

>Tank companions?

Probably no fish or hermits, most everything else should be okay.

> Could snails or an urchin be added to help control the inevetable
algea?

Yes. They would be fine.

> Thanks for you help and your time!
> Good luck at MACNA!

I'm gonna need it!

Cheers, Ron

pbft_90
11/09/2000, 05:24 PM
wow im surprised im not the only nut thinking about this :D first thing is......the urchin? i thought all urchins were not reef safe......was i misinformed? i saw a couple of urchins today at the lfs and they were on the glass...they were a purplish color kinda ugly but if they'd eat algea i'd be interested.....next question is do you know what kinda worms yet? are you still going to do this? if so i would be more inclined to do this because i'd have someone to speak w/ about it. i like c.varians very much....now im kinda ticked because i just bought a powerhead for the tank :D it was on sale so its not returnable. i'll see what i can do w/ it maybe......next thing.....i say you and i see if we can find someone to donate a pair to us hahahah it'd be nice but not going to happen. anything you can think of about this subject hold nothing back let it fly at me. i read a article about the misidentification of nudi's here i believe not too long ago i suggest you give it a look its really interesting.
ill think of some more questions for you
pbft_90

Tactstat
11/09/2000, 10:04 PM
I just gave you another post.

Variens is a bad one to start with, they are extremly rare in the wild, and will not breed well in captivty (ie no one who has tried has had it happen)

The other would be better to start with, and after you (and I ) know what we are doing, then move to the more rare, probably endangred sp. I am considering starting with Berghis, as I can follow other success with it till I am confidant I won't kill the variens, or the young.

Urchins are not reefsafe in the sense that they will bulldoze the rock, and eat the corilane algea, but they won't actively bother corals.

-Tac

pbft_90
11/09/2000, 10:25 PM
do you have a picture of these? i would like to see them i cant find one around......so you are going to do this with ME :D ......great .........i intend on keeping records and posting them here when i finally get something worth posting :D ..........what do you know about these bad boys.....shoot all your info retained at me :D
pbft_90