PDA

View Full Version : anyone use ZEOvit?

rockindacheeks
08/22/2006, 04:58 PM
I've been researching setting up a ZEovit reactor on my new tank. It seems like it is a lot of work. Am i right? How much work is involved in running one of these reactors?

TIA

H22ATypeS
08/22/2006, 05:03 PM
Try Zeovit.com

EmDy
08/22/2006, 05:03 PM
I am...just take me only 30sec in the morning and nite to dose stuffs.

rockindacheeks
08/22/2006, 05:04 PM
is it very expensive to get everything?

Bebo77
08/22/2006, 05:15 PM
i run it on my 300 gallon tank... what do you want to know about it?

is it expensive... yes but the products last for a long time..

is it a PITA.. i can be you have to dose every day..

Does it get results.. yes

are they worth the cost and time.. I think so....

Konadog
08/22/2006, 05:15 PM
The initial purchase of zeo, start, bacteria, reactor, and pump is expensive. If you average it out over 12 months, it's not so bad. I used it for a year and gave up only because I hated the work involved. It's not much, but get's old after awhile (for me anyway).

rockindacheeks
08/22/2006, 05:25 PM
i only ask because i was trying to judge if the time spent dosing and messing with the reactor is worth it. Everything i have read makes me think it is.

thanks guys.

snslarison
08/22/2006, 06:16 PM
Just stick with good light and good cal & alc levels and you'll do fine. Get to work!

bergzy
08/23/2006, 12:49 AM
i have noticed a tremendous improvement already with my system when i started zeovit in the beginning of april.

like what the others have said...

it is not for the faint of heart with maintenance as it requires daily attention. how much attention?

i have it down to less than 5 minutes per day...

i 'pump' the zeo rocks 10 to 20 times in my diy zeo reactor. it holds two gallons of media...which is larger than any commercially available reactor out there...and it cost me $20! :D

after pumping the rocks, i drop in the supplements that the 'system' highly recommends. the five minutes includes me topping off my evap water manually. i do not auto top off as i have ready way too many auto top off disasters which basically destroyed their systems.

if i cant spare five minutes per day, for me, i shouldnt be in any hobby. my friend, who is an exotic car collector, spends a couple of hours a day detailing the cars that he acquires. this is his 'hobby' and 'passion' as is reefing is my hobby!

for further specifics. zeovit has a forum dedicated to answer any questions. i am not sure if i am allowed to link their forum...so i will just recommend you do a search and you should find them quite easily.

from someone using it, strictly following its guidelines (and not thinking that i am smarter than those who developed it), i have noticed my brown sps coloring back up. the sps that i acquired with good color...now are starting to show explosive deep intense color. this is only with four months of use. zeo usually says that their system is slow and dont expect to see results for up to 12 months. this system, imo, are for those that are in the hobby for the long haul.

the start up costs appear expensive...and i wont lie, it seemed like it...but i have 350g adjusted volume and costs are somewhat determined by total adjusted volume...thus, the larger the tank, the more zeo 'stuff' you will need to use!

with some patience, a little learning of a new (somewhat foreign) method of doing things...zeovit can bring an okay tank to wow in time...and bring a wow tank to 'this is the most beautiful, intensely colored tank i have ever seen' tank in time. i am shooting for the latter! :)

good luck with your research and decision!

bergzy
08/23/2006, 01:00 AM
here is the thread to my $20 EXTERNAL diy zeo reactor!

***(ignore the link to zeovit i put in there)***

Zeo me up, Scotty! (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=813145)

Yinger
08/23/2006, 01:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7991280#post7991280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog
The initial purchase of zeo, start, bacteria, reactor, and pump is expensive. If you average it out over 12 months, it's not so bad. I used it for a year and gave up only because I hated the work involved. It's not much, but get's old after awhile (for me anyway).

konadog, did you notice a difference in coloration after you stopped?

Konadog
08/23/2006, 07:13 AM
Yinger, I took my old 100 down shortly after I stopped using Zeo (6 to 8 months) and I really don't remember. I do know that it didn't go brown within a month.

Bebo77
08/23/2006, 09:09 AM
i started and stopped zeo.. i noticed a difference in color... with zeo every coral you have "POPS".. when i stopped the colors were still there but not as brite...

here is a picture of a zeovit tank.. he does not use the stones but he uses all the color tweeking zeovit products...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/Bebo77/ganz.jpg

and another zeo tank

http://www.zeovit.com/DTOTQ/gerhard_obst/full_view_rs.jpg

Yinger
08/23/2006, 01:54 PM
Gabriel, with zeovit did you stop dosing kalk and all that? I notice that with zeovit systems, alk is usually maintained somewhat low. Also, do you have an updated pic of your tank?

Bebo77
08/23/2006, 02:27 PM
Sam took a video and some pictures last night he may be able to post it today on RC.. ill let you know if he does...

Alk is one of several parameters that have to be maitained at a certain level. My Alk is 9 and i am having to dose Cacium manually at the moment. There is alot of work in maintaining the Zeo parameters but in the end the colors are worth it IMO...

there is some new zeo that Aquariums obsesses is now selling. Its from the makers of MarinFauna. its cheaper to run.. but i dont know much more about it as it is a new product....

Jar*Head
08/23/2006, 02:33 PM
So Yinger did not trust my word therefore he want to confirmed with others Zeovit user. I have been using Zeovit for a year and a half. Very happy with it. My parameter extremely low but my corals still live and colorful. Ying you saw my tank when i swap and now. Zeovit alone doesn't make your corals look you. You have got to maintain it properly.

Yinger
08/23/2006, 02:35 PM
haha, not that i didn't trust your word steve. Just wanted to see how other zeos users were using it. nothing wrong with that is there? I know how your tank looks and that's one of the reasons I'm willing to give it a shot.

Jar*Head
08/23/2006, 02:49 PM
I hope you'll be patient cuz it doesn't change overnight.

Yinger
08/23/2006, 02:50 PM
haha, u serious? damn... wish i didn't waste my money on the rocks now. I know, i'll give it 2 nights

rockindacheeks
08/23/2006, 02:53 PM
So i can just use the Zeo additives. I dont need to use the stones? That sounds like a good idea...

Jar*Head
08/23/2006, 02:56 PM
You are the lucky reefer. I wish i have your luck when i set up my tank hahahahaha. You can ask all the reefers in here who start Zeovit without buying anything but the rock. Anyway, you'll like the new system. As long as you follow the instruction. You will be fine.

Yinger
08/23/2006, 03:05 PM
haha, i know. thanks, i appreciate it, trust me.

Bebo77
08/23/2006, 03:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7998012#post7998012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rockindacheeks
So i can just use the Zeo additives. I dont need to use the stones? That sounds like a good idea...

no zeo does not work on tanks that are not "nutrient low" you have to get the nutrients out of your tank for the additives to work... otherwise you are wasting your money....

bergzy
08/23/2006, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7998012#post7998012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rockindacheeks

it's up to you and your collection of others opinions about how it worked on their systems. personally, i am 'tired' of thinking that i am smarter and more clever than the people who developed it. i use the rocks, the bacteria and the two foods for the bacteria as recommended. i havent used the other additives yet and may not if i get the colors i want from my sps'. the above mentioned are collectively called 'the basic 4'...and seem to do an phenomenol job like their claims.

for parameter maintenance...i check my alk and ca twice a week and adjust manually accordingly...i have since stopped my ca reactor and havent doesed kalk in months...zeo systems, mine anyway, are incredibly stable...or it could just be total snake oil! ;):);)

it's from my observation from reefs to after market auto parts...sometimes it isnt a good idea to mix things or go the cheaper route if something was designed to work specifically for that system/part/idea.

as this is a hobby as well as experimentation...one is always welcome to mix and match and post their results. heck, i am a heretic for making my own reactor that doesnt resemble any other zeo reactor out there...yet performs absolutely perfect...

rigleautomotive
08/23/2006, 03:42 PM
where does one purchase this system

gtrestoration
08/23/2006, 03:45 PM
An RC sponsor, www.fragfarmer.com

SteveU

golfish
08/24/2006, 10:03 PM

You can use some of the additives without the media but for the most parts they main items like the bac, start and food probably work best with the media...FWIW, a reactor isn't neede. Eric, myself and others have used nylon bags instead reactors with the same results.

Yellow world
08/30/2006, 11:40 PM
I just start using Zeovit. I love it since my water is so clear now.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n51/OCreefer/DSCN0336.jpg

Jar*Head
08/31/2006, 09:19 AM
I have been using Zeovit for almost 18 months here is pix of my tank.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank036.jpg

Yellow world
08/31/2006, 10:11 AM
Wow! nice aquacape rocks.
Since I'm a newbie in the Zeovit, please if you do not mind to show me the corals you have been exccessful color up during your 18 months with Zeovit.

Thanks

Jar*Head
08/31/2006, 10:37 AM
I just upgrade tank. this tank has been up for a little over 6 weeks. During the process, my corals was in the bin for 3 days without light. When i put them back in the tank they all turned brown. here is some pics

Purple digi (i was brown for almost 1 year)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank047.jpg

oregon tort
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank046.jpg

Green slimer
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank045.jpg

Purple cap
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank030.jpg

blue slimer
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank031.jpg

Purple monster
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank027.jpg

Tenius
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank026.jpg

cali tort
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank024.jpg

Red cap from badbones
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank015.jpg

bennett tort
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f123/NgoSH0311/tank%208-29-06/Stevestank009.jpg

EmDy
08/31/2006, 11:16 AM
in 6wks, from brown to purple...wow...

Jar*Head
08/31/2006, 11:25 AM
You can ask Yinger, Loc01, H22typeS and Raskall311 they are the one who has seen my corals when i put them back into the new tank.

slavearm
08/31/2006, 11:25 AM
There are so many items. I am interested in running the zeo color tweaks... which items are those? I have no intention of using rocks.

Slavearm

Jar*Head
08/31/2006, 11:27 AM
If that is the case unless your tank already low in nutrient, you can go with CV, AAHC, PIF. You can ask Mchava for more into. I know he did not run the rock but he did use the suppliments.

bergzy
08/31/2006, 11:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8050674#post8050674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slavearm
There are so many items. I am interested in running the zeo color tweaks... which items are those? I have no intention of using rocks.

Slavearm

from what i have gleaned from their forum...

tweaking the color with their additives only may pose some risk to your corals.

for example...spur2 will eject excess zooanth (brown) to reveal the color that it is hiding. sounds great BUT if your coral is not conditioned to it's environenment (eg via zeo method), chances (the forum says) are that you will severely damage your corals (if not outright kill them).

zeo is not just about the rocks...those who dont use it or use it improperly have a tendency to stress that it is mostly due to the rocks...believe me, the cost of the rocks are minimal compared to the price of the additives.

understanding zeo and how it works, i would not run anything outside of the basic 4 (rocks, bak, start2 and food7). the color tweaking additives comes much later after your tank and corals have adapted to profoundly low nutrients.

reefernick
08/31/2006, 11:49 AM
im so confused i want to start zeovit the basic 4. now here is my question do you still use all your old supplments with this ig. calcium,alk,iodine,stroduim,ect. does it change the dosing of this stuff? should i just call eric at (fragfarmers) and ask him? i am really lost in this zeo stuff so anything would really be helpfull

nick

Yinger
08/31/2006, 12:02 PM
reefernick, make a post on the zeovit forum and they will explain everything to you. I've had my tank up for about 1.5 months now and I'm going to start zeovit this weekend once my CA reactor comes in. The mods there are quite helpful giving you a step by step to dosing.

reefernick
08/31/2006, 12:06 PM
thanks yinger

slavearm
08/31/2006, 12:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8050685#post8050685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
If that is the case unless your tank already low in nutrient, you can go with CV, AAHC, PIF. You can ask Mchava for more into. I know he did not run the rock but he did use the suppliments.

Tank is super low in nutrients. I can't even get a Nitrate reading on a colorimeter above .03ppm. P04 is .0133 on a colorimeter. Thank you Cheato and Giant Skimmer.

I will talk to Mchava about it.

slavearm
08/31/2006, 12:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8050738#post8050738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bergzy
from what i have gleaned from their forum...

tweaking the color with their additives only may pose some risk to your corals.

for example...spur2 will eject excess zooanth (brown) to reveal the color that it is hiding. sounds great BUT if your coral is not conditioned to it's environenment (eg via zeo method), chances (the forum says) are that you will severely damage your corals (if not outright kill them).

zeo is not just about the rocks...those who dont use it or use it improperly have a tendency to stress that it is mostly due to the rocks...believe me, the cost of the rocks are minimal compared to the price of the additives.

understanding zeo and how it works, i would not run anything outside of the basic 4 (rocks, bak, start2 and food7). the color tweaking additives comes much later after your tank and corals have adapted to profoundly low nutrients.

My desire to stay away from the rocks has little or nothing to do with the cost. I am not trying to adopt the Zeo system. I have seen as many tanks go brown as I have seen do well from the system. I also don't like the whole shake/pump the rocks idea (I like going on vacation).

I do recognize, that there are probably a number of amino acids and other trace elements that I am not currently providing my tank that would assist in coral growth and coloration. That is really what I am looking to do.

Shane

Jar*Head
08/31/2006, 12:27 PM
Ben, thanks for the explaination. I use everything that is available from Zeovit.

gcarroll
08/31/2006, 12:46 PM
I read the reports on RC that claimed drI used the HC Amino Acids, a big bottle of Pohl's Coral Vitalizer, and Potassium Iodide and saw no improvement in coloration. When the supplements ran out, I did not buy more. That was my experience!

For those that do not like the hassle of the daily dosing, simular results can be made using a product called Prodibio (http://www.prodibio.fr/anglais/accueil.htm) . It does not use the Zeolites but removes the nutrients just like Zeo via bacteria. It consist of weely and bi-weekly dosing regiment instead of the daily dosing with zeovit. it also does not have the risk involved with overdosing since you do not have to feed the bacteria to keep them alive. You are basically adding strains of bacteria that consume nitrates and phosphates after being dosed w/ the skimmer off. After a few hours, you turn the skimmer on and the nutrient laden bacteria are exported through the skimmer.

bergzy
08/31/2006, 01:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8050971#post8050971 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slavearm
I also don't like the whole shake/pump the rocks idea (I like going on vacation).

Shane

i also go on vacations and do not pump the rocks when i am gone. nor do you have to dose every day. i miss days here and there and see no ill effects on the corals. missing a day here and there or not pumping your rocks everyday isnt going to doom and crash your system, ime anyway.

the rocks do more than just remove ammonia...they also create an environment for bacteria to grow. when you pump the rocks...it does a few things...such as releasing bacteria mulm which feeds your corals (oligotrophic bacterioplanktonic...something like that) and with this also exposes the rock surface area for further ammonia removal.

my original repsonse to you was to caution you of potential problems if you dose stuff (zeo) that was designed to be used in a system. i meet some who 'want a smile like julia roberts'. when i evaluate their overall clinical situation and tell them that it isnt possible due to various physiological and physical parameters, they get upset and move on to someone else...'looking' for someone who will confirm what they want to hear. i dont think i need to say what a recipe for disaster that can be.

like greg said, there are different methods to achieve the same great results...some involve zeo, some prodibio, some do a rain dance in their tanks and get great results (last one joking btw...).

it would seem prudent, to me, to not use stuff that seems pretty proprietory designed for their 'system'...just as my tank is on zeo...i wouldnt even think of using prodibio products...it seems counter productive and dangerous to me. it is like trying to strap on an eldorado bumper onto a mercedes...it's a bumper alright but for a different car.

to sound hypocritical now...

i have read others who have used zeo's cv and amino acids without utilizing the full zeo system. maybe the most prudent thing to do is to go to the zeo forum and ask the mods what you could do in your situation. they know their stuff pretty much inside out and will let you know what to do and not to do.

ps. theyre really nice too! :D

gcarroll
08/31/2006, 02:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8051290#post8051290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bergzy
i wouldnt even think of using prodibio products...it seems counter productive and dangerous to me. it is like trying to strap on an eldorado bumper onto a mercedes...it's a bumper alright but for a different car. What about prodibio seems dangerous? To many, the risk of using prodibio is much less than with Zeo. I have heard of no one using prodibio report any coral loss by dosing mistakes. The same cannot be said for Zeo. The nutrients are exported via the skimmer just as Zeo is but without attempting to keep the bacteria alive long term via dosing various foods and such. The bacteria is introduced into the system, given time to consume the nutrients and then removed through the skimmer just like zeo.

bergzy
08/31/2006, 03:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8051852#post8051852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
What about prodibio seems dangerous? To many, the risk of using prodibio is much less than with Zeo. I have heard of no one using prodibio report any coral loss by dosing mistakes. The same cannot be said for Zeo. The nutrients are exported via the skimmer just as Zeo is but without attempting to keep the bacteria alive long term via dosing various foods and such. The bacteria is introduced into the system, given time to consume the nutrients and then removed through the skimmer just like zeo.

greg,

the statement 'just as my tank is on zeo...i wouldnt even think of using prodibio products'...was meant to convey that i would not use prodibio in conjunction WITH zeo...just like slapping an eldorado bumper on a mercedes...

sorry if i wasnt clear...

i am not trying to sell anyone on zeo as i have zero dollars invested in the company. someone asked about zeo and thought i would voice my personal experiences with it. all my comments are from me using zeo and from (hopefully) wisdom gleaned on the zeo forum. i am far an expert of the inner workings of zeo and do not claim to be one. some people embrace it as it works for them and others shun it like a vampire from the sun. i am just 'commenting' from my own experience and questions i have asked on the zeo forum...such as would it be okay to 'mix' other additives from other systems. the answers i get are 'it is not advisable to do so'. also, i did not say that zeo is free from overdosing and coral death...it is in my opinion a pretty fine edge sword and the room for error is slim. i will be the first to raise my hand if someone were to ask if it is a heavy maintenance system and say it is not for someone just starting a reef tank. nor it is not for those who are queezy about daily fine tuning.

maintenance is subjective to me. i have done a total of one water change (with old reef tank water nonetheless) on, what i call, my fowlr. does it qualify as a reef? if looked at subjectively, yes, it is actually a reef tank as i have purple mushrooms, sponges, paly's growing on the rocks and doing very well.

my 180g reef is my 'exotic sports car'. i personally love fiddling with it (maybe more so than watching the corals) and this 'fiddling' is not work to me. just as i hate gardening and have a gardener...some people love gardening and cant figure out whay someone would pay even a dollar to maintain their yard.

Bebo77
08/31/2006, 03:18 PM
Greg i tried prodibio along with a few other people and saw no results at all.. infact if you read the prodibio thread here on RC you will see that many people are getting little to no results with that product..

slavearm
08/31/2006, 04:32 PM
Melev OD'd real bad and RTN'd a few of his corals with Prodibio, but he was dosing 3x the required amount for a few weeks on accident.

If it wasn't for the 5 gallon bucket sitting in front of my tank, I would just skim like Greg and do my water changes like that and be done with it, but the wife already tried to kill me once for that. Also, you have to keep a real close eye on the salinity and dose saltwater daily. But the results are pretty clear.

Frankysreef
08/31/2006, 05:43 PM
my 2 cents....

I think zeo usage seems to make the colors stand out and fluoresce more...

But I dont use zeo or any other additives other than my calcium reactor, and oceanpure pro.

But comparing my tank with some zeo tanks... not that much difference in my opinion....

I think my combination of 6500 k light and 20k 250's seems to do wonders for my coloration...

I have finally found a nice balance with livestock corals and parameters... So I wouldnt use it(ZEO)... but it took me yrs of fiddling to get my combination right.

For the few that want that zeo glow... go for it... but it's expensive and requires a lot of maintenance... ( which I hate doing )

I only do maintenance every 4 days, change filter socks and fill rodi, every two weeks I change water 20 gal.. and every 4 weeks I change carbon, and clean skimmers... that is it...

Automatic feeder feeds twice a day and I feed mysis every day and cyclopeez about every few days....

I am going to start farming some of my collection now that I have my frag tank almost set up.

New web site
www.frankysreef.com

F

wishntoboutside
08/31/2006, 08:42 PM
frank..

i love your cabnet work. looks very nice.. tank looks good too=)

Jar*Head
08/31/2006, 09:52 PM
Frank, why don't you post some pics of your tank so we all can enjoy and learn.

ejocam
09/01/2006, 01:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8052977#post8052977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Frankysreef
my 2 cents....

I think zeo usage seems to make the colors stand out and fluoresce more...

In some instances yes but not all. I have seen some tanks not running Zeo with great colors as well. But there are some Zeo Tanks that have some colors that I haven't seen on a non-Zeo tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8052977#post8052977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Frankysreef
But comparing my tank with some zeo tanks... not that much difference in my opinion....

I never seen your tank in person Frank, but I have seen your frags and pics on here on RC. Based on that I would have to disagree with you and say that there is a difference in colors.;)

For the few that want that zeo glow... go for it... but it's expensive and requires a lot of maintenance... ( which I hate doing )

Bingo Frankie, The key is maintanence! :) What you put into your tank is usually what you will get out of your tank if you know what you are doing. As far as being expensive, I am a little confused on how you would know the costs if you are not using it:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

I am going to start farming some of my collection now that I have my frag tank almost set up.

Good luck on the new venture. Let me know when you are up an running so I can pay you a visit :)

ejocam
09/01/2006, 01:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8052041#post8052041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
Greg i tried prodibio along with a few other people and saw no results at all.. infact if you read the prodibio thread here on RC you will see that many people are getting little to no results with that product..

I was one:D But I nly tried it for two months and things did not change. I would like to see some pics from a Prodibio tank other than Iwan that has positive results

Jar*Head
09/01/2006, 01:34 AM
Eric, i have been buying Zeo stuff from you all this time and you have never visit my place :). Franky tank must be really nice, i have got to see it myself.

Franky, let post some pix of your tank please. If you don't prove it no one will believe it.

TryTheChi
09/01/2006, 05:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8055626#post8055626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ejocam
I was one:D But I nly tried it for two months and things did not change. I would like to see some pics from a Prodibio tank other than Iwan that has positive results

Hi Eric

there's a few posted up on Iwan's thread.

Hi rockindacheeks

Ive used both systems - currently in my 3rd exchange of zeo after 5 months of prodi + some zeo elements.

IME the comparable elements between zeo and prodi are the zeo basic 4 and prodi digest and bio tpim. The zeo basic 4 has the advantage of over the prodi 2 by shaking the mulm into the water daily feeding corals. The potential disadvantage of zb4 is you have to get the flow rate right through the reactor and not OD on start2, but thats easily handled by just dealing with it.

I had no RTN while using prodi and 3 colonies RTN while using zb4. That may or may not be related to zeo, but the gains I'm geting with zeo are enough to keep me in the zeo game:)

The other elements of the zeo method arnt replicated or claimed by prodi and so the comparisons should be focused on how effective both are at producing very limited nutrient picture, which after other good husbandary practices is just the foundation for great colors as far as I understand it. IME both are. Not even Iwan got his results by using prodi alone.

To get the advantages of mulm feeding without the zeolites I think it must be possible to just make a reactor and fill it with LR rubble and pump daily. I'v not been able to find an answer to the question of what advantages the are in NH3/4 being adsorbed by the zeolites compared with letting the bacs do all the work. If anyone knows, please explain:) IME I can see no advantages comparing the bac strains form both maunfacturers, its only anecdotal, but I think the zb4 method advantage is the daily mulm release.

The area that zeo is outstanding IME (over and above the standard good husbandary requirements, nutirent limitation and the mulm) is the focus on potassium levels; b ballance, spur 2, macro elements, Iodine and amino acid use.

I'm beginning to get some beautiful colors with the full zeo method now, and IME feel I can recomend it to people who are prepared to put the time in and really genuinely get the parameters and husbandary inorder before starting.

As for expense - well its not cheap - but that really depends on one's disposable income and size of tank. Personally I think its worth the ££, its great seeing the colors emerge:)!

JME

Cheers

Simon

Frankysreef
09/01/2006, 12:44 PM
When I start taking pics for the new website... I'll definitly post them. As of now all of my pics have been taken through the glass, I need to get a photobox so I can take better pics...

I also have 4 new helios 20k's so the whole tank is a little blue...They are burning in.

My new little venture will be website only with my appearance at all local swaps.

I have a brownish blue table that is starting to take over some space right now, it is supposed to have blue tips ,so I was told... That one will be fragged .

Eric -- all of the corals that I got from you still have great color, especially the blue mille.

When I take pictures with the sunlight the photo's are too bright, and you can't see the coral...

But as I said, I don't have that glow that comes from most zeo tanks... Of course I dont run fluorescent lights either.