PDA

View Full Version : Question

dabears
08/20/2006, 06:06 PM
I am new to this forum so hi to all of u. I have a few questions about keeping fish. What is the difference between a saltwater tank and reef tank? Also what size tank do u recommend? And what fish corals and live rock u would need. I have limited experience keeping saltwater fish but i would love to do it again.

hgbarwick
08/20/2006, 07:18 PM
First of all you need to do reaserch. Take a couple of months before youuu get into the hobby. A saltwater tank and a reef tank are the same. The two types of tanks are fish only and reef. Reef tanks have corals. Do reaserch.

hgbarwick
08/20/2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry double post.

dabears
08/20/2006, 07:32 PM
yea im not gonna get started till i am sure of everything.

emerald chondro
08/20/2006, 08:26 PM
Since one of the questions has been answered already i won't go into it however
as far as the tank what kind of fish would you like to keep determines how large the tnak is, but yes do your research about everything your going to get.

dabears
08/20/2006, 08:31 PM
but would u say for a person that doesnt have much experience would having a big tank be easier or harder?

emerald chondro
08/20/2006, 08:48 PM
a larger tank is easier to maintain water quality (i think atleast) but its also much more expensve

Poorcollegereef
08/20/2006, 08:58 PM
well depending on your experience, we need more information. If you have NO fish experience, then freshwater should be attempted first, just to learn some basics.

If you have some fish experience, then read up as much as possible and always play it safe when you start. If "maybe" or "if" is in your decision then dont do it. The to biggest things NOT to do is to do things quickly and to do things cheaply, because only death and loss of $ result. Next, I wouldnt suggest and medium or difficult species. A fowlr (fish only with live rock) will be the easiest, but if you want to move on to corals after keeping a stable fowlr, then dont fill the tank full of fish, just keep a few and keep the bioload low. Next, the size of tank really doesnt matter but the bigger the tank, the harder it is to screw up, but also the harder it is to get back under control. I wouldnt try a nano tank, since it is a really fine balancing act but it is also cheaper to replace if you do screw up. In the end,, just ask lost of questions, do a lot research, talk to a good LFS owner (one that isnt in the business just to sell stuff, but a loyal hobbiest) and be PATIENT!

And if you dont mind me asking, what is your fish experience?
Goodluck

edwar050
08/20/2006, 09:15 PM
I think you should shoot for a 75 or 90 if possible. Another option would be a 30 cube or 24 nano and one or two small fish and possible later upgrade. The nano would be great with pcs for mushrooms and easier to keep corals. Upkeep should also be easier from the mere fact its less tank to clean and water changes would be easier. Try to make your systems as automated as possible. Digital light timers, dj powerstrips for powerheads/pumps, and auto-top offs help alot.

dabears
08/20/2006, 09:37 PM
well my experience with saltwater fish is i have had 2 clownfish but they lived seperatley and a pufferfish and i think it was a valentini puffer. But the tank was very small so i only got to keep 1 fish at a time. thanks for the advice.

Poorcollegereef
08/21/2006, 07:25 PM
i think you have the just of things then, I would do whatever you feel comfortable doing. smaller tanks have some advantages and bigger tanks have others, it really depends on what you want to have in the tank