PDA

View Full Version : frogspawn head cracked in half

scarletknight06
08/20/2006, 01:39 PM
I got a single head frogspawn frag from a local about a week ago. It is healthy and colorful. Today I noticed a snail had knocked it off the rocks and I picked it back up and noticed the skeleton was cracked in half from the top (where the polyp extends out from) to the bottom (where it was cut off from another branch to frag it).

It seems ok, but should I do something or let the skeleton heal on its own. Perhaps rubberband or lightly superglue it back together?

Sk8r
08/20/2006, 01:42 PM
superglue would not hurt it, but a froggie has a living skin on the outside of the head. If that is intact, I would not glue there, rather below it. If that is damaged, I would let it heal, and again, no glue on it. Rubberbanding, might help. Superglue was invented as a wound sealant and still functions in that way.

scarletknight06
08/20/2006, 01:49 PM
so superglue before the fleshy part of the skeleton then?

scarletknight06
08/21/2006, 11:54 AM
i ended up superglueing the base of the skeleton, it didnt look so happy yesterday. but all looks well today, i think it will be fine

Sk8r
08/21/2006, 12:06 PM
Glad to hear it! They're pretty hardy. Unless its skin is compromised, it may either lay down new skeleton or branch again. If the latter, you might be able to fill the crack with reef putty after it's recovered and stabilized. The putty goes in white, but algaes over and becomes indistinguishable in time.

Acipenser
08/21/2006, 03:09 PM
I would not sweat it. The frogspawn should be fine. I cracked numerous frags in half trying to frag the mother colony. Each one has been fine.

I have never tried to get the two sides to grow back together though. I usually just separate the halves by cutting or tearing the remaining flesh and they grow back to form 2 frags. They are not the best looking frags due to the half calcareous stalk, but over time they grow out nicely into new colonies.

They are extremely hardy.