PDA

View Full Version : anyone have the covers to the intake on a powerhead?

sir_dudeguy
08/19/2006, 11:05 PM
hey,

my aquaclear 301 powerheads dont have that little grate thing over the intake to keep out fish and snails and stuff.

so far in 3 months i've surprisingly only lost 2 snails, so i just didnt bother with it...however i'm worried that with this new group order, i'll have a much greater chance of having more of them killed by my powerheads.

so does anyone have 2 of this piece? i've got 2 of the same powerhead.

jchapple
08/20/2006, 01:16 AM
Let me know what you find. I needed a couple different sizes a while back and didn't find any easy solutions. I ended up using a small drain strainer from a hardware store from one and then modified another I found at Pets Inc to make it fit. They're not the prettiest, so good thing they are only in my "backup" (not show) tank.

aztbs
08/20/2006, 01:19 AM
Pets Inc always has a big bucket of weird spare parts. I may have a bunch of strainer baskets that came off of some Rio pumps, I do not know if they would fit or not. I'll check in the morning.

OceanLyons
08/20/2006, 07:23 AM
I have the grate thing on my powerheads' intake and my snails get stuck because of the suction. I am more frightened about losing a fish. My project today is to make a PVC pipe covering with an end cap, drill a ton of holes in it, and then attach it to the intake. I saw this in somebody's gallery, but I don't remember who it was. Maybe a strainer basket is easier.

sir_dudeguy
08/20/2006, 02:07 PM
aztbs

thanks i'll check at pets inc. And if you've got the ones for the rio's, i could try those i supose. Would i be able to get them on wednesday?

paljets
08/20/2006, 06:52 PM
You could just cover it in some pourus foam mesh.. I've seen that done..

Homedepot sells this stuff..

It's in the roofing section..

It's a plastic "Mesh" thats meant to seperate wood shingles from the plywood. (Thus allowing air movement under the shingles to help them dry)

Anyways, buy a small amount of this stuff, cut it up, to the right size, and ziptie it to the intake.. Whether it's the intake strainer for your CL, or your powerhead..

It works really well.

And is reef safe..

Oh, and it's cheap :)

--paul

sir_dudeguy
08/20/2006, 08:41 PM
thanks i'll try that if pets inc. doesnt have any, and if the ones that aztbs has dont fit.